Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
3XBrownCutty said:
Pic would be good, not 100% sure if I have them or not but I'll look.

Thanks, I will take a pic of it and either post it here or send it to you.

I do have an update for today: I had success at the little junkyard I go to that doesn't try to rape you on prices. I walked out with the seatbelts for $10, and also managed to grab the lock rod, seat switch bracket, and all my missing seatbelt fasteners. I also bought my vinyl dye today using a gift card I was given at work for safe driving. Sadly, their match looks a little light. So, they gave me a little bit of black to add to it to try and get it darker. I hope it works...

It's looking really good and CONGRATS on that first drive. That always makes the long hours, blood,swesat & tears worthwhile! You're seeing that light at the end of the tunnel...

In the: "Nothing Ever Fits The First Time" department, I tried to put the freshly painted fan shroud back on and finally bolt down the radiator support body mounts. Well, the fan now likes to hit the shroud, which it used to do before I had shimmed the body mounts up a bit. I shimmed it up with big flat washers, and now it doesn't hit, but the bolt is a little too short! I also managed to lose the washer inside the frame horn while trying to put the nut and big flat washer on the car from underneath while the rear was up on ramps. I also managed to throw the front clip out of alignment as I needed to push it over a bit to get the fan centered. Now tomorrow, I need to go buy a flat washer and longer bolt, and realign the front clip to radiator support relationship so everything is happy again. I think I'd rather do 20 engine swaps rather than assemble just one car correctly from a pile of parts. It's so much less aggravating! Even when this is all done, I still have lots of little things to either adjust, recondition or customize to fit my needs in order to make the car go together as planned. I don't even want to think how much money has gone in to this car over the years, but it is probably in the $10-15k range if you add up all the little bits and pieces. If you are thinking of doing a complete rebuild of everything in your car, just remember: Nothing ever fits back together like you think it should.

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
just remember: Nothing ever fits back together like you think it should.

isn't that MURPHY'S LAW #32,458? :lol:

murph and I have become good friends over the years, but I'd still choke the life from him if I ever met him face to face!! :twisted:

I finally put the seat belts in the car today. I had not sat in the car with the seat belt on and the seat properly adjusted in maybe 10 years, and I had forgotten just how awful the seat belt position really is! It is WAY too high up on the B pillar! Even if it is not completely choking me, I can feel it's presence on my neck. I now wish that I had gone though with my plan to use Nissan Sentra seatbelt height adjusters on this thing. Why Nissan? They are very compact and narrow, so they would be about the easiest to make work. Plus, I have lots of experience working with Nissans.

It's sad that GM did not get the seat belts right from the factory, The rest of the car is very comfortable to sit in, it's a shame they messed up in designing such a vital safety element in the car.

I finally drove it some actual miles. I got off work at 5:30pm today ( an odd time for me as it is so early) and finished installing the front seat belts.I then realized that I could actually go for a drive in this thing. So, I pulled some bungee cords from the bed of my trunk to tie down the speaker box, drove it off the ramps, and went for it. In the end, I probably put 50-60 miles on it, and burned through $10 worth of 93 octane, but it was worth it! It drives very well with a few minor exceptions. First off, the steering is loose on center. Normally, this means a dead rag joint, but I had just replaced the entire steering shaft with a new one, so it must be in the box (which I also replaced at the same time...). Second, the steering wheel is 90 degrees off center. This is due to a complex little issue that resulted from trying to fix one thing that threw off the steering. Third is that the wiring has a short somewhere. The lights blink on and off, and the radio shuts down and turns back on sometimes. I think it must be in one of the main power wires for the car, so I guess I will have to check those circuits before I take a long journey. I also realized that I had been too aggressive in my tuning of the secondary air valve opening rate as it has a nice long bog when they come in. I will have to do more tuning when I get the other issues dealt with.

I also found an issue with my front door speakers. it seems that they did not like the baffles very much and were cracking due to this. This also explains why the woofers sounded like sh*t. My solution was to cut a hole at the bottom of the baffle where the wires come though, so that the speakers were no longer sealed. Since it is at the bottom, water is still kept off the speakers, but the hole acts as a port. They sounded great after that, if not a bit bright.

I found a neat feature I didn't know I had with the mirror. It is electrochromatic. While I initially thought this meant that the self dimmer moved the mirror up and down, that is not what it does. Instead, the glass itself dims to a blue green color to take the glare from traffic behind you away. So, the mirror never moves, but the glass auto tints instead. Isn't that cool? It's the best $10 junkyard mirror I have ever bought!

I agree!
I have one of those auto-dimming mirrors in my Caprice, and it's easily one of my favorite features.
Too bad mine doesn't have the thermometer like yours...

I must've missed it. What was the mirror out of? And it has a thermostat in it? Cool. I need one.

I had thought it had a thermometer in it, but it doesn't. I downloaded a PDF of the owner's manual (and the wiring diagram) and found out I was wrong on that point. It has a compass in it, the map lights, and the cool auto dimming feature. The car I pulled it from was a 2000 or so Oldsmobile Intrigue with the top of the line trim option in it. The lower trims did not come with it. Just go look at late 90's/early 2000's GM midsize and large sedans. Just be sure you get one with the LED compass and not the LCD like the early 90's Caprices have. This is a much more compact design. It even has a little plastic cover to put over the wire that conceals it. It fits with minor trimming. You will want to cut it with a V or U shaped groove so that it has an interference fit with the headliner trim piece.

I also found a leather wrapped steering wheel in a 1991 Oldsmobile 98 Regency that I may go pull. It is the same exact color as my interior is, so it will be a nice addition to the interior-especially compared to the cracked plastic piece of crap that is in there now. The only negative is that it is not a sport wheel, but rather looks like the basic Cutlass wheel of 87-88. I figure that for $10, it is worth a shot as it is thicker, and will finally give me a working horn again. I am also looking for the high beam switch that lets you flash your headlights by pulling the turn signal stalk, like my Nissan has. It's on some 90's up market cars that still used the old Saginaw column. You need to add a wire, but it is pretty easy. This is NOT my idea originally, but comes from a link someone posted for me in my passenger's side power seat thread. BTW, that should be ready to go tomorrow.

My other three ideas I am considering are an "OH sh*t!" handle for the passenger (off a S-10 Blazer in the same color interior), a cubby hole for the headliner above the rear view mirror, and cupholders. I found the handle when I went last time, but did not pull it. The little cubby hole is something I have yet to find a source from, but it has to either look GM in the right color, or look generic. As for cupholders, I am seriously considering using a 1998 Nissan Frontier King Cab console. It has a big storage bin in the arm rest, and two cupholders. It is very generic looking, and has no switches or emblems anywhere. New it is less than $100 complete. That will happen when I do the manual swap. For now, I may use a center arm rest with the cupholders built in. This way, it does not look out of place on my bench seat car. I may also just replace the ash tray under the radio with a set of slide out cupholders from a 90's Nissan or Camry. They look generic enough, and the design is very compact. It slides out when needed, and goes back in when not needed.

The interior would be finished tomorrow, except that the dye that Finishmaster gave me is too light, even with the little bit of black toner they gave me to tint it with poured in. So, I gotta go back tomorrow if they are open and see if they can give me a bit more black to finish the job. I don't want to have half the interior two shades lighter than everything else. Delays, delays...

wow congrats on the drive, I am sure that is very rewarding, I know it has been for us before. Seems like you have gotten everything figured out mostly with what else you need to do, great work, and would love to see what you do with the radio as well, I like mine with it being flush but was just curious what you will do

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor