Status
Not open for further replies.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
speedbob said:
Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 278/288, Lift .420/.442
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2102/

I like the lift numbers; however, I don't like the durations. I would go with a mid 260's intake with mid 270's exhaust or maybe both intake and exhaust in the 270's. I think you may be giving up more torque and moving it into to too high of an RPM band that your highway gearing may not like if you go any higher on either duration. I would shoot for around a 110 LSA. I think it will make for a friendlier idle. You should be able to find a cam like this for fairly cheap.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
A better cam will improve the performance of a 305. The factory cam's that were installed in 305s are kind of wimpy. The biggest problem are the restrictive stock exhaust manifolds.

I would have the factory computer carburetor rebuilt by a good shop that knows how to. Also that EGR valve looks like it is in really bad shape. Don't use anything but a AC Delco EGR valve.

Another bonus with 305s is that many came with higher CRs than many other factory SBCs. This is due to that smaller bores can run more CR because of better mixing.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Driven your post on the early 305 is exactly why I don't understand the undying love for the sbc. Flat cams, oil comsumption and cracked heads, not good. Pretty much all 70's sbc's suffered from flat cams and valve guides. Until Olds lightened their blocks in 77 and got Pontiac to make the crack prone, junk 3A heads, Olds never had these problems. We had a 76 Cutlass with an Olds 350. It was drove many miles, no flat cams, no blue smoke and got no maintenance at the end, over 300,000 km. Until the early 80's, very few 305's would make 100,000 km without issue. Geez, go LS, then you have something.

dragonmaster093

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2011
olds307 and 403 said:
Driven your post on the early 305 is exactly why I don't understand the undying love for the sbc. Flat cams, oil comsumption and cracked heads, not good. Pretty much all 70's sbc's suffered from flat cams and valve guides. Until Olds lightened their blocks in 77 and got Pontiac to make the crack prone, junk 3A heads, Olds never had these problems. We had a 76 Cutlass with an Olds 350. It was drove many miles, no flat cams, no blue smoke and got no maintenance at the end, over 300,000 km. Until the early 80's, very few 305's would make 100,000 km without issue. Geez, go LS, then you have something.
ive had quite afew sbc from mid to late 70s lot of those 305s and all had well over 100k in fact one came out of a 77 monte into a 77 caprice then 75 monte when i got rid of the monte had over 200k on it and was no smoke no dead cam ect.only thing ever done was timing chain

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
That was my point. They weren't all bad. The problems I referenced were really a matter of neglect. The light casting heads only cracked when overheated (neglected cooling system). The oil consumption was usually due to compromised rings from overheating or valve guide wear from lack of oil changes. Flat cams were normally a matter of skipped oil changes too. Add to that the reformulated oils that lack the necessary additives for long cam life. ANY engine will start to show weak points when neglected or abused. Those just happen to be what fails first on the 305s, or any late '70s SBC for that matter. Maintenance is really important. That's really all I was saying. No undying love here -- just a lot of experience.

Looks like we got off topic again. Sorry speedbob :? . The Edelbrock 2102 will be fine. It would be a good match for a dual plane intake and a good street carb. That's one of the great things about a SBC (undying love :wink: ), they are very forgiving if you don't get too greedy. As I stated earlier, focus on torque.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
as far as the reliability of the 305 I overheated it a few times and the temp guage was sitting on it's stop, I thank the synthetic oil for saving the motor but I was waiting for it to blow up so I'd have an excuse for an upgrade. It never blew so I took it out and sold it and t's running around a circle track in an eduro car, it has to have over 300k on it but it still takes the abuse of racing. I'll never knock a 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor