Bye bye big city!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jared,
Congratulations! I may as well join in to wish you and your family all the best of luck in your new property endeavor.
I will be following your upcoming progress. Keep us updated. :cool:(y) Great news! I'm happy for you.
Thanks Jack. I really appreciate it.
congrats Jared! I know the feeling of originally buying in a nice area, only to have development take it from a little country, to crowded city. where we bought in at is a 15 minute drive to a nice medium sized city, and is a decent subdivision in what used to be a cornfield 20 years ago. new stores, apartments, and cookie-cutter home developments are springing up everywhere around us. the cow pasture behind us is probably the only thing keeping me from losing it, as watching the cows graze when they come into our side, is like prozac for me. we're in the process of making a few reno's on the house to differentiate it from all the others in the neighborhood, just in case it gets bad enough, we have a better chance to sell quickly. we have a fairly low cost HOA, but they seem to have ideas that we live bordering a posh country club, instead of the small farms that border us right now. if you have any problems with yours, just do like I did and compare them to Hitler's jackbooted thugs, and asked if I needed to take out charges of trespassing (issue was only visible if they had been standing on my property. we got along great with the neighbors, so they backed down and haven't bothered us since...

looking forward to watching the progress. Like others have said, thanks for bringing us along!
Thanks Darin. Glad to have you along. Yeah, we actually have a farm right behind our house and that helps with the present location. A few of our neighbors are really great people but one is a stinker. We love our house. We just hate where it is.

Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
When I moved to Greenville SC in the 1990's, I checked the convenance and there was no limit to the size of the detached garage, so 60X32 it was. Everybody that moved to the neighborhood after me build a big garage and the neighbor went from stuffy, to cool.

If you build it, they will come.

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Congrats Jared!

13MWZ...make sure they get pressed with heavy starch if you want to look the part of the gentleman farmer :LOL:

We got lucky and found a deal on 18 acres, 'course the roads have a lot of "character". No mo' city livin' for me....

• Winner

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
When I moved to Greenville SC in the 1990's, I checked the convenance and there was no limit to the size of the detached garage, so 60X32 it was. Everybody that moved to the neighborhood after me build a big garage and the neighbor went from stuffy, to cool.

If you build it, they will come.
I like your approach. I'll have to check the restrictions but I don't think our beer budget will allow for something as awesome as 60'x32'.
Congrats Jared!

13MWZ...make sure they get pressed with heavy starch if you want to look the part of the gentleman farmer :LOL:

We got lucky and found a deal on 18 acres, 'course the roads have a lot of "character". No mo' city livin' for me....
Thanks Brian. I don't think I'll qualify as a gentleman farmer on 1.5 acres in a subdivision! :LOL:
Congratulations Jared. Looking forward to sharing your progress with others here. Hope it all goes well for you.
Thanks Jeff. I'm glad to have you following along.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Not really an update but I have a few more pictures. I took Dad out to the land Friday afternoon to show him around. I didn't have any trouble getting my truck back there....

11-20-20_01.jpg

A look at the "logging road" or construction entrance that leads you back to our section, across the creek....

11-20-20_06.jpg

A look at what the area looks like. This was on the way out of the development....

11-20-20_07.jpg

An underbrushed lot with a house under construction.....

11-20-20_09.jpg

Another shot going down the road leaving....

11-20-20_10.jpg

And another....

11-20-20_13.jpg

I guess that's it for now friends. I just wanted to give you guys a better look at what it looks like after the paving and utilities go in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
weed GIF

What's this "20' of vegetation" barrier going to consist of?
Probably mostly the type of stuff you see in the pictures above. If it survives on its own and provides screening, it meets the criteria.

Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
My dad went back to the family homestead in Nebraska a couple years ago. He spent a few summers there with his grandparents in the 50s and 60s. The property has been absorbed by other farms and the house is now gone. But the old root cellar was completely overgrown with nice tall wild pot plants. Truly a weed.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor