Bye bye big city!

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Trailer brakes locked up....?

You'd see dirt were that the case. Any time a tire hits my grass here in CO, it leaves a mark like you see in the pic. Now back home on a MI lawn you'd hardly notice it, but they don't use sod where I grew up.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Not a problem if they buy the lots on either side too.
Oh, that makes a huge difference. Consider that if possible.

Wasn't able to buy the left lot, cuz the neighbor had already bought that years before we got there and left it empty, so we have an entire lot between our homes on that side anyway. AND, they homesteaded their lot and merged it into their existing property, which is now less than 10 acres total. A few years back we got the areas in our community rezoned so as you cannot split any lots less than 5 acre chunks. Meaning that lot is now part of their main yard as it's about 7.5 acres total, so unless they build 2 houses on their address, we should have a buffer zone all around.

We bought the lot to our right, and I'm keeping that separate. Can't get a homestead tax reduction on it since it's separate, but if we merged it, we'd be coming in right under 10 acres too, so couldn't unhook it again. Just to save 2% on tax rate, I'd have to give up all flexibility.

I can go outside and throw a rock in any direction and the only house I could hit was ours. Unless I was Tom Brady. He could probably chuck a stone a good piece and hit the neighbor's house.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Good luck. Sounds like fun.

Only two things...and this could be good advice or BS advice, time will tell...
1)
KUDZU.....be prepared for a long fight. Sh*t grows in FEET PER DAY! Unless you got stray cows running around, the sh*t is hard to get rid of. You can, and will, get rid of it, if you keep at it, but don't let up. When we built our house in a similar start on our land- it was wooded and full of underbrush and KUDZU!! Lots of it. About 2 acres + of it. It took about 2 years of staying on it to get it in check finally.

2)
SHOP SIZE: If your HOA allows it, see if you can go 60 x 40 on the shop. I've got a 40 x 40 and I thought that should do it. It probably will, but like all plans, go a smidge bigger. You'll be glad you did. I know I wish I did.
Thanks for the well wishing and thanks for the advice. The Kudzu is in a limited area on our lot and the developer's surveyor cut down the side lot lines which gives some separation from the neighboring lots. My brother and I will be on it. If it's a maintenance deal, then it is what it is. Hopefully by under brushing the entire lot, we'll knock out most of it. It has to come out of the ground somewhere, right?

As for the shop, we really want a 40'x60' but it comes down to budget. Right now I'm planning to have two four post lifts so we can stack cars and one two post lift for working under. Bigger would definitely be better but considering we built my brother's Camaro in basically one bay of the garage and that it will be around three times the size of my storage, I think it will feel pretty good. Sean and I are both saving as much cash as possible. If, when the time comes we can swing 40x60, believe me, we will. 40x40 is the plan for now.
Very cool news. This will be fun to watch. Thanks for bringing us along.
Thanks for the interest. I have to say your move and build have been an inspiration.
Run the HOA and keep it classy.
View attachment 162131
We're probably that neighbor but we plan to have plenty of vegetative screening so you may hear us but you won't see us. We definitely won't be doing that to our yard. My brother and I are way fussier than that.
Congrats. Make the HOA your b*tch.
The POA restrictions are very laid back. Once we're past construction I don't see them being an issue. We will have a fence with closed gates at the street. They won't be seeing much of our property and I would recommend against coming on the property for a POA inspection.
New adventure in life. Wife and I bought 40 acres in rural SW Georgia in 1992 and built a house in 1994. Put up a couple of barns but finally building a shop. Enjoy
I saw that you took out a loan on your shop. I hope you start a thread and show us all what you do and what you based your decisions on. For one, it's fun seeing friends on here build shops. For the other, any chance to learn on this is welcome.
I felt bad until I read the line on the bottom lol.

I'm the guy with the driveway sealed by rubber ;)

Congrats Jared, very exciting I'm sure. Now to get ready for the contractor/building experience - you'll be ready to kill at some point during this process I'm sure.
This is where I feel like we have a leg up. My sister-in-law's cousin is a custom home builder. He's a great guy. He'll be building the house. My brother is a Program Manager by trade and is very good at it. My sister-in-law is great on the aesthetics. I know enough about the Civil Engineering part of the project to be dangerous and will be handling the Land Surveying aspect of the project. Thankfully, we're going into this with a talented team with more expertise than many have the benefit of. Still, I'm sure there will be high blood pressure moments along the way. As long as we keep it moving in the right direction.....
I am happy for you. I was just wondering about this project the other day. Once you live in the country you will not want to live in town again. I think your lot side might be a little cramped. Double that would give you room to breathe and expansions. You will have to start wearing 13MWZ's now. Good luck to you, I hope it goes smoothly.
Thanks Zach. I know there will be no going back to living in town for me. Like I said, this deal was a compromise. We really wanted five acres. The places we liked, where we could afford five acres didn't have the fiber optic that we need to be able to work remotely effectively. Still, right now we live on an 8,400 square foot lot (0.1928 acres). Our neighbor's homes are 10 feet away from ours. The 1.5 acre lot is 7.8 times larger than what we are living on now, so I think it's going to feel pretty good. On the jeans, I like Wrangler but I'm too fat for boot cut jeans. It's relaxed fit only for me.
Admission: had to look up "13MWZ".

Jared, what does your lot back up to? If I read that right (5000 acres, subdivision, 1.5 acre lots) that's gonna be a bunch of neighbors= still to close for me.
I had to look it up too. There is one lot behind us (remember, our back line is only 60' wide and we will have a neighbor on each side. Again, it's a compromise. Still, my preliminary plan as a 20' strip around the perimeter which will be a vegetative buffer and then the home will be 20 feet beyond that. That's 40' from the home to the fence instead of the 5' from the home to the fence that we have now. The house will be set back something like 70-100 feet from the street right-of-way line. You won't be able to see the home from the street. Will it be Xanadu? Maybe not but it will be a lot closer to it than where we are and I don't think it is going to suck.
Not a problem if they buy the lots on either side too.
Wish we could. Just not in the budget. The development itself is largely surrounded by the Huntsville State Park and the National Forest so it's pretty secluded. The property values are fairly high for undeveloped land. The National Forest will be about a thousand feet away from our lot, on the far side of the street that "T" intersects with ours. The good news is that it looks like the place will be worth more than we have in it the day we move in.
Looks like a great spot. I wish you the best. I would have an issue investing in Real estate with a married brother. Mixing finances with family is usually a recipe for disaster.
Thanks. Yeah, we have a unique situation. We're blessed that we get along so well. My brother is my primary beneficiary and she is my second. I don't and won't have children so I'm not worried about equity long term. They've put up with me for 13 years so I don't anticipate them getting rid of me anytime soon, unless if it is for the insurance. Also, it's going to take the power of our combined incomes and credit to make this deal happen.
Oh, that makes a huge difference. Consider that if possible.

Wasn't able to buy the left lot, cuz the neighbor had already bought that years before we got there and left it empty, so we have an entire lot between our homes on that side anyway. AND, they homesteaded their lot and merged it into their existing property, which is now less than 10 acres total. A few years back we got the areas in our community rezoned so as you cannot split any lots less than 5 acre chunks. Meaning that lot is now part of their main yard as it's about 7.5 acres total, so unless they build 2 houses on their address, we should have a buffer zone all around.

We bought the lot to our right, and I'm keeping that separate. Can't get a homestead tax reduction on it since it's separate, but if we merged it, we'd be coming in right under 10 acres too, so couldn't unhook it again. Just to save 2% on tax rate, I'd have to give up all flexibility.

I can go outside and throw a rock in any direction and the only house I could hit was ours. Unless I was Tom Brady. He could probably chuck a stone a good piece and hit the neighbor's house.
We'll definitely keep our eyes open on the adjoining lots but I think with the vegetative buffer we have planned, there won't be any throwing of rocks and hitting homes.

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes and the interest!

Reactions: 7 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Better yet... don't let one get established.

-Gonz

There were homeowners in my area who bought before the HOA was established. They were not bound by the HOA rules, but anyone who bought from them would be as were the neighbors around them. That would put a big shjt eating grin on my face.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared,
Congratulations! I may as well join in to wish you and your family all the best of luck in your new property endeavor.
I will be following your upcoming progress. Keep us updated. :cool:(y) Great news! I'm happy for you.

Reactions: 3 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
congrats Jared! I know the feeling of originally buying in a nice area, only to have development take it from a little country, to crowded city. where we bought in at is a 15 minute drive to a nice medium sized city, and is a decent subdivision in what used to be a cornfield 20 years ago. new stores, apartments, and cookie-cutter home developments are springing up everywhere around us. the cow pasture behind us is probably the only thing keeping me from losing it, as watching the cows graze when they come into our side, is like prozac for me. we're in the process of making a few reno's on the house to differentiate it from all the others in the neighborhood, just in case it gets bad enough, we have a better chance to sell quickly. we have a fairly low cost HOA, but they seem to have ideas that we live bordering a posh country club, instead of the small farms that border us right now. if you have any problems with yours, just do like I did and compare them to Hitler's jackbooted thugs, and asked if I needed to take out charges of trespassing (issue was only visible if they had been standing on my property. we got along great with the neighbors, so they backed down and haven't bothered us since...

looking forward to watching the progress. Like others have said, thanks for bringing us along!

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor