C5 spindle from CPP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
I don't remember this being the case. How much does it? I have them on my 87' with zero offset rims, no noticeable difference visually. I thought they spindles were the same measurements as the stock g-body spindle, but I suppose there could be some minor variations.

From what I remember reading on here, its about 0.750" total, so 0.375" on a side for the Blazer spindle.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
"corvette hubs" implies the hubs are better, but i can find no proof. and i can't find any difference between non-zr1 hubs and zr1 hubs.

interesting! I've never heard of drop hubs. where can i find them?

I've always been under the impression that the upgraded SKF hubs were OE ZR1 hubs. That may or may not be the case, but either way these bad boys do exist and are better than your garden variety C5/C6 hub. I really need to get some onto my Camaro.

As for drop hubs, I guess I wasn't very clear. You can get Blazer drop spindles, but not the drop CPPs. That would be ideal because you could have the good hubs AND the good brakes. Hell, a garden variety C5 hub I'm sure is beefier than the Blazer hubs. The C5 hubs are significantly bigger than my Camaro hubs.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'm still baffled over how a sealed ball-bearing is supposedly superior to a tapered roller bearing

I think the move to sealed hub/bearing assemblies was a concession to assembly-line simplicity and front drive logistics

But then again, I'm old fashioned

I see a lot of failed/damaged hub assemblies in my daily work.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Just a general question that crosses my mind every time a swap to hub/bearing assemblies comes up, was not calling anyone out.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm still baffled over how a sealed ball-bearing is supposedly superior to a tapered roller bearing

I think the move to sealed hub/bearing assemblies was a concession to assembly-line simplicity and front drive logistics

But then again, I'm old fashioned

I see a lot of failed/damaged hub assemblies in my daily work.

Vehicles I’ve had with the newer style sealed bearings fail much more frequently, seems to be the norm in at least both of the vehicles I had too, from what I can gather. And they are definitely more expensive. I don’t view it as an improvement just comes with the territory of a newer spindle design.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Vehicles I’ve had with the newer style sealed bearings fail much more frequently, seems to be the norm in at least both of the vehicles I had too, from what I can gather. And they are definitely more expensive. I don’t view it as an improvement just comes with the territory of a newer spindle design.
We have regually replaced them on the wife's Santa Fe & my old POS Silverado. The '86 SS frame I got to replace my '81's original could of reused the original bearings that it had when I rebuilt the front end. Hell, we reused bearings that were in a set of old '57 Chevy front drums that were sitting on the self for 20+ years with no issues.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor