c5 vette brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

j17_mia

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2009
i wanna put c5 corvette brakes on my 84 olds cutlass supreme.. just for the FRONT tho.. has anybody done this before? any advice that can help me get this done?

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you'll need a min of 17in rims. it's highly recommended to upgrade the master cylinder, the rear brakes and proportioning valve. one commonly for gotten part is the correct brake hose, check kore3.com

j17_mia

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2009
hey clutch_grabwell, i like everything in that kit except the rotors. i wanna run slotted and cross drilled rotors. cant i just replace those from the kit with the cross drilled and slotted?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
drilled and slotted are a bad idea for anything but racing, where you'd replace them at every use. other than the small gas grooves the usual slots and especially the drill holes are nothing but weak spots where cracks form and the rotor breaks.

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
j17_mia said:
hey clutch_grabwell, i like everything in that kit except the rotors. i wanna run slotted and cross drilled rotors. cant i just replace those from the kit with the cross drilled and slotted?
You should contact the vendor. He may be able to substitute rotors for you.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
And as a note, you WON'T be able to use them with any form of a 17" American Racing Torque Thrust wheel. At least not with the 13" rotors.
I found this out after buying my 17's and then trying to get my brakes to fit. The wheel hoops weren't big enough to clear the calipers and the spokes in the rim rubbed on the face of the caliper.
My solution for the time being was to use the 12" LS1 rotors which helped the calipers to clear everything.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
FE3X CLONE said:
And as a note, you WON'T be able to use them with any form of a 17" American Racing Torque Thrust wheel. At least not with the 13" rotors.
I found this out after buying my 17's and then trying to get my brakes to fit. The wheel hoops weren't big enough to clear the calipers and the spokes in the rim rubbed on the face of the caliper.
My solution for the time being was to use the 12" LS1 rotors which helped the calipers to clear everything.

Good thing i haven't had the cash to buy those? What is there to look at when buying rims to fit? I thought 17's would clear, so should i just aim for a bigger rim like a 18? I am in the process of doing that swap as well.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
85GPLef41 said:
Good thing i haven't had the cash to buy those? What is there to look at when buying rims to fit? I thought 17's would clear, so should i just aim for a bigger rim like a 18? I am in the process of doing that swap as well.

Well, they didn't have these when I pieced together my kit but you can now download and print the templates for the C5 brakes and test fit them in your wheel or at least determine if the wheel your looking at will work:

http://www.kore3.com/tech.php#bbk_overview

The problem with the American Racing 17's is how they design outer hoop. I don't believe I have a picture of it but on the inside of the rim (backside of the spokes) there is a 1/2" lip that ends up making the wheel diameter smaller. This is one of the problems. If that 1/2" lip wasn't there, the calipers would fit.

The other problem specific to the TTII type wheels is how they're spokes are shaped. You can look at my wheel pic here and kind of see how the curve back towards the caliper:

IMG_0118.jpg

This picture is with the 12" LS1 rotors and the caliper moved closer to the center of the wheel to compensate. So essentially in this picture, they fit properly. However, if you can imagine with the original 13" rotor, the caliper gets moved out further (radially) and puts it right where the spokes curve sharply back toards the wheel.

The only other way to have solved this issue would have been to use a set of billet wheel spacers and then order the wheels with a backspacing that would then work with the spacers. Not exactly the route I would want to take personally.

As far as whether or not an 18" wheel would fit, you'd have to find out how American Racing makes their wheels.

I know down the road I plan on upgrading to a larger rim and tire so that I can run a larger brake setup than the C5 setup.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Well i have the non zo6 C6 calipers with the regular C5 Calipers abutment brackets and the rotor size i believe 12.8. Will this cause a interference problem? There is two different abutment brackets one for 12.8 rotors and one for 13.4 rotors right? I will check out that link so i can make sure what fits though..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor