c5 vette brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Do you have to swap to different spindles for this upgrade?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm going to install spindles from a 94 roadmaster and use LS1 rotors. I need new rotors, pads, and calipers anyway so the 12" brake upgrade is basically costing me the cost of the spindles...$50

donnyR

Apprentice
Nov 15, 2009
Harvey IL,60426
I thought that when you do the 94 roadmaster front disk swap you had to buy somee expensive aftermarket armsif this is not true pm me the info or more info on this swap sounds interesting and hopefully don't have to buy the upper arms

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
IIRC the roadmaster is a tall-splindle, so you would need a set of adjustable upper control arms to correct the alignment. also, the b-body spindles produce worse bumpsteer than the car already has. but there is no cheap way around this.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's a taller spindle so I'll get some UB machine tubular uppers that are shorter than the stock length UB tubulars I have on there now...these tubulars go for about $65 per side

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I started to do this swap years ago when it was still the hot setup. I had the spindles, C5 brakes, and the Global West upper arm. They sent me an arm for a stock spindle and I didn't know it until it was too late to return them. Fortunately I didn't get my car done and after some years found out why it's not such a good idea. Here's a quote from the www.scandc.com website:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Will SC&C’s SPC arms work with the B car spindle swap? What’s the difference between Street-Comp and the B swap?

A: Yes, our SPC arms will work with the taller B spindles. This swap requires a shorter upper arm so you just adjust the arms to fit and set the alignment. The B swap offers better than stock brakes and improves the camber curves and roll center height due to their taller overall height. That’s the good news, now for the bad news…the B spindles were designed for a totally different car. So while they can be bolted on, not everything lines up correctly. The steering arms are longer which slows the steering ratio and upsets the ackerman angle or the difference in the angles of the tires when you turn. Worse, it doubles the amount of bumpsteer, which isn’t too good to begin with! This can make the car feel very unnerving to drive, especially at speed. The B setup is also quite heavy and increases the track width of the car, which may lead to tire clearance problems with fenders.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can get the bracket and bolt the C5 calipers onto your stock g-body spindle and use the stock a-arms. www.flynbye.com If they aren't specifically listed you can email Ed. That's where I got mine. $75

SC&C has an adjustable upper arm that can be used with taller upper and lower ball joints and stock spindles for the needed improvements without the negative bumpsteer issues. I was told this setup gives a better front end geometry than a 2002 f-body setup.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd suggest if you going to do the work to install larger brakes then it makes sense to use the taller spindle and improve cornering at the same time

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I'll readily admit that I'm not even close to geing a suspension guru. But I've researched and learned from those who are and are gracious enough to share there knowledge.

The b-body spindle, due to the longer steering arms, doubles the bumpsteer and also slows down the steering ratio. The positive gain you do get with the b spindles is more than offset by the bumpsteer. The taller ball joints (which are rebuildable I believe) provide the positive aspects without the negatives.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have never heard of those issues using a B body spindle but Global West sells a negative roll kit for a G body and it contains the taller spindle from the B body and a shorter upper control arm and I doubt they be selling that if what you posted was correct

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
pontiacgp said:
I have never heard of those issues using a B body spindle but Global West sells a negative roll kit for a G body and it contains the taller spindle from the B body and a shorter upper control arm and I doubt they be selling that if what you posted was correct

As said, this has always been the big negative to the B-body spindle swap from day one. Nothing new there.

By keeping the stock spindle but using the tall upper and lower ball joints, you are effectively making your stock spindle into a "tall" spindle. You gain all of the postives from the better camber curve of the tall spindle without any of the negatives of increased bumpsteer or ackerman angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor