Caddyshack...has anyone tried to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoJoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2006
Texas
fit a Northstar 32V into a g-body? The RWD block, of course. Do any of you g-Body experts have any input as to what all this may include (frame, mounts, mods, et cetera...)

thanks in advance!

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
NoJoke said:
fit a Northstar 32V into a g-body? The RWD block, of course. Do any of you g-Body experts have any input as to what all this may include (frame, mounts, mods, et cetera...)

thanks in advance!

There was an 83 Hurst/Olds with a Northstar featured in Hot Rod at least ten years ago.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I think that in that issue of Hot Rod, they used a FWD Northstar for the swap, and they used a 700R4 transmission from an S10 truck with a 60 degree V6 to get a bellhousing that was close to fitting the Northstar engine block. I think there were only minor mods required to get the transmission to fit. With the newer Northstar engine being available as a RWD engine, that may not be an issue anymore.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
That's correct, it was a FWD N*, since the RWD version didn't exist then. Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators ( www.chrfab.com/ ) specialize in parts and converted 700R4 transmissions. It turns out that the bellhousing bolt pattern for the 700R4 used on the V6 S-10 applications is only off by one bolt. They relocate that boss, reconfigure the bellhousing for the top-mounted starter, and can sell you a beefed up trans for your application. They also have bellhousings and flywheels for manual trans conversions. Hot Rod also did an article on CHRFAB here:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engi ... e_fitment/

By the way, while there are RWD N* engines now being made, good luck finding one at a reasonable price. The FWD versions are still much more readily available and at a reasonable price. The biggest problem is the water pump, which is located right where the master cylinder wants to be on a RWD conversion. Most people use an aftermarket electric water pump.

NoJoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2006
Texas
Man, this board is gonna be invaluable!

Thank you Joe and Mr. Clean. My plans are to turn my G into a clean, streetable, hi-perf version of a modern Regal w/o going the GN route. Kind of like the lastest Mustang/Camaro/Challenger ideas. We'll see how far I get into my vision!

Thank you both for the input and references!

mybuick

n00b
Apr 28, 2007
mount prospect
a person on turbobuick.com just put a deramax deisel in a olds and made it into a gnx... so it should fit

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
why a Northstar? they are WAY too much of a pain in the a$$ to work on. just look for the water pump (and the special tool to service it) and the starter. if you want modern, powerful, and easy to work on get a LS1,LS2,LS6 or if you have money and time an LS7.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
northstar something not everyone does looks like a cool idea to me but i like being different so yep

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor