Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
Re: cadillac 472 re/build, phase 2: planning and discussion

im thinking of just using the manifolds temporarily until the rebuild breaks in. i want headers but i dont want to buy them along with everything else at the same time or rather i dont want to use perfectly good headers to break in an engine. i can keep the exhaust manifolds in the car and not pay for headers at all or have some stainless steel headers made. i did say i wanted the engine to last a long time so it would help if the exhaust did too. http://www.stainlessheaders.com/customheaders two thousand bucks for 304 stainless steel headers. the crazy part is that doesnt seem so bad to me, they're completely custom and made of stainless with 3/8" thick flanges. the flanges for a cadillac are 65 bucks each in 3/8" thick 304 stainless.

i think i'm going crazy :banana:

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010

When you figure out a cheap way to do them, let me know. Im in the exact same boat for headers.

I ported my exhaust manifolds on my buick like that, its a Pure Stock Drag racing trick. You'll see the opening is very very small, and you can go up to about 2.250 easily. Its free and it will help power.

If you have time and are so inclined, Stainless Steel Headers actually gives you a tutorial of HOW they make them. Problem is, even at the end of the video I thought, hell it would be alot easier to just have them do it as I would easily screw it up.

I really wanted Headers by Ed made. They have made some crazy equal length stuff in the past that actually fit in a car. But they arent taking orders anymore.

Stainless steel headers have the next best product. You can get it about half price if you choose regular steel, and spend the extra $$$ to have them coated.

Next cheapest is probably to have a set custom made, but you would still end up spending $1000. Even if you salvaged a set of BBC headers, just too much labor.

Absolute cheapest option is CadCompanies headers for about $500.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010

Headers by Ed.

eds.jpg

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

Have you ever checked with Lemon?

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky

dogshit said:
Have you ever checked with Lemon?

i did look and i'm better off getting the manifolds coated or getting cadco headers and getting those coated.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky

ok someone help me out here please. i can use the 425 crank and water pump pulleys to replace the ones i have now, yes?

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona

Yes. You also want to grab the timing tab to go with them.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Any progress here????

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
not yet. I think I'm about to sell my Edelbrock intake though. For what I'm doing (basically a stock rebuild) I don't think I need that intake and a factory intake will give me more hood clearance. The engine won't see the upper RPMs needed to notice a difference with the Edelbrock intake so by selling it I'll have a few more bucks for the engine itself. Factory intakes don't cost very much so buying one still leaves me with a few extra bucks.

I'm not sure what I want to do with the heads, rebuild them myself or have someone else do it. I don't have the tools to measure spring height and such but I do need the heads cut so I can use Chevy umbrella seals.

I'm almost ready to start buying some parts and get the ball rolling on this. I'm just not sure where i want to begin...

godlemmy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2011
Cleveland,oh
stick with the edelbrock intake.the stock intake sits below the intake ports of the heads,the intake runners run uphill into the heads.not very condusive to any kind of proformance.but....if your dead set on the stock intake,how much on the edelbrock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor