cadillac 472 re/build, phase 3: doing stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
this is my thread for my cadillac 472 build. it may be slow but i will post every update and have lots of pics whenever possible. so after acquiring a 1974 cadillac 472 engine with extra goodies and a th400 transmission for a low 500 dollars, i put the transmission away for a while and tear into the engine to read the tea leaves. i did this all day from morning till just before sunset, a little before 8 pm. first i remove the valve covers, these things hide dirty little secrets about the engine and they told on the engine. whoever had it most of it's life didnt change the oil as there was a lot of coke like build up all over the inside of the heads. so the heads are dirty and i look into the lifter valley and glance at the cam, it has two wiped lobes. ok strike two i'm thinking, this engine doesnt look good so far. the intake is an edelbrock and is in very good condition. new they cost 300-325 bucks so that made up for the negatives mostly at this point. the runners look almost like new with minimal carbon build up in the heat passage crossover. mating surfaces are in good condition and require only minor clean up. it needs a washing in general more than anything, it's just a little dirty. it will be painted the original color of the engine as unsealed aluminum doesnt like being touched with dirty hands and car parts, the looks are ruined immediately.

i took the accessories off so i could remove the heads and shed more weight off the engine so i could move it off the driveway. some bolts were hard but not frozen with rust. it did not have the ac compressor bracket and no compressor either. PS pump was empty, a little oily and dirty, typical PS pump appearance. alternator had already been removed but the brackets for it were still on. no smog pump but i did see a bracket that had been hacked on removing the air pump. it took a minute to get the harmonic balancer off and i have not removed the crank hub since i havent started on removing it yet. since i cant get it off i cant remove the timing cover so it's still on the crank but its no big deal right now. taking the heads off wasn't hard but the head gaskets just didnt want to come off the block without a fight. the heads' combustion chambers looked black and a smidgen sooty from all the use the engine had seen. the pistons had a little carbon buildup on them but nothing horrible. they also appear to be standard bore so that's a check in the plus column. the rings looked pretty good. a secondary ring was frozen in the land of one of the pistons but they were otherwise unremarkable . there was dirt in the piston lands but nothing heavy. the cylinders showed just a little wear. they have a very small ridge at the top, you can barely snag a fingernail on one.

removing the oil pan gave me a nasty surprise in two parts. first part was there was water in the oil pan and the second part is it still had about a quart of oil (he told me it was "dry")and when the oil pan came off i made a big mess on the driveway. after dealing with that emergency i removed the sump and broke loose all the nuts and bolts on the rods and mains. i removed and examined all the rod bearings. they were very good condition, almost no scratches of any kind, one had tiny scratches and that was just a couple. they honestly look like they're barely used, i was expecting half wiped bearings based on how the cam looked. unless they got away with installing new factory size bearings without having to turn the crank somehow. the areas near all the mains in the block looked normal as did the inside of the valve covers which surprised me, not baked on oil wax textured god awful atrocity to an engine. i didnt see any abnormal wear in the cylinders. maybe these run hot in the heads and it really does bake the oil on in multiple layers over time but i doubt it. it's removed easily though so that's a plus. the engine had some oil spots here and there on the outside of the block from minor gasket failures but nothing bad. the block is slightly rusty in a couple areas but nothing to get excited about but i did see the original paint and it's a nice dark blue almost like ford blue. i WAS going to paint the engine black but the blue color looks so nice i'm going to use that instead. the mating surface for the gears in the oil pump on the block still showed the original machine marks on about 2/3-3/4 of the area touched by the gears. the gear pocket in the pump also looked just as good so i can reuse the pump without having to repair it in any way but i dont think it will work with the sway bar so i need another one.

the main caps have dimples on them numbering them and BIG bearings. i guess they do run hot oil based on the size of the bearings. it seems like the block itself isnt that much larger than a small block but it is longer, they made the walls connecting the cylinders very thick. now i see how you can bore these things out .100" and larger. they put a lot of meat in this block and the bore is 4.300" to start. you could probably rebuild this engine 5 times each time doing an overbore and get a million miles out of the block. i imagine this also makes the block less prone to warping or shifting taking mating surfaces out of spec. i took the pistons out one at a time giving a good cursory inspection of each one. the piston skirts looked good with little wear on them. the bearings looked good and consistent among all 8 rods. i wiped out the cylinders and looked at them also. they showed very little wear on them. getting the cam out was pretty straight forward but the last journal on the cam didn't seem like it was going to go through the first cam hole. it came out a couple minutes later.

the bore on the cylinders is 4.3005. they are square using perpendicular measurements and all are square. they all measure out to the same measurement. the 1st main bearings measured out to 3.252 i'll guess the crank is 3.250. it measured out to 3.2495" and the rod journal for the 1st and 2nd cylinder measured at 2.5005. so far everything is in spec. the only bad thing in the engine seems to be just the cam and lifters. i plan on having the block and heads cleaned and inspected for specs and potential problems that may arise. i think i can get by with a hone on the cylinders and a polish on the crank maybe but i'll see what a machine shop says. since i dropped a piston onto the driveway i cant use them now, it dented the edge at the top of the piston.

so far the only bad thing i see is the gunk build up in the heads. the head gaskets looked good and i found no failures on them. bearings, clearances and mating surfaces are all good. the threads in the block are very smooth, feeling little drag on most of the bolts in the block. all edges of parts inside the engine have a sharpness to them, the rods look great save for one that has some deformities in the casting of the short edge of the i beam running along 50% of that edge from wrist pin to bolt head. not that i want a ton of power because making it wont be hard by any means but i dont like the way it looks. i need to take pics and put them up soon.

the engine is an excellent core to start off with and it alone was worth the 500 i spent on it and the transmission if i do say so myself. this engine sat out in the weather for a while at some point judging from some of the rust on the block. i doubt the headers will fit the car so i'm sticking with the exhaust manifolds that i know i can use. the engine came with: a mechanical aluminum 7 blade 18" fan with heavy duty thermal clutch, an alternator, an hei distributor to replace the points distributor the engine still had, full length big chevy headers with a cadillac flange welded on and RWD exhaust manifolds held onto the engine with a couple of bolts each. rounding this out it also came with new in box chrome valve covers by spectre, PS pump still on the engine, alternator brackets still on the engine, a flexplate in great condition, teeth look like new. i got the transmission with a dipstick tube and stick, no convertor because he forget them and it has no yoke either. but the case is fairly clean looking, the fluid was a nice bright pink with no bad smell, potentially a good sign. if i can just use a th400 with the 4" tail and not have to get my driveshaft shortened i wont be keeping this one. i could MAYBE use the th350 in the car now but i dont think it will last long behind this engine knowing how heavy my foot can be from time to time.

my current goal is to do a more thorough examination of the engine and figure out what i want to do with the engine. then go over the entire block removing casting flash & smoothing surfaces so it will look nicer when it's finally assembled, painted and ready to install. one thing i enjoyed about tearing down the engine is all fasteners were in SAE sizes. pics will be up soon.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Re: cadillac 472 re/build, phase 1: the autopsy

Tagging on. Curious to see what you will do with it. Ive been through the same, and learned lots, some good some bad. :popcorn:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

Just dive right in. I love it. I think you scored a winner there, and you are right, big motors don't need to rev like banshees. May the torque be with you!

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI

Bonnewagon said:
big motors don't need to rev like banshees.

But it is awesome when they do haha.

Good score gbody. Hope you have lots of fun building it.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

8)

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky

this is what i started with. the engine still had the brackets, PS pump, exhaust manifolds, distributor, intake, flexplate and water pump. it also came along with a TH400, full length BBC headers with cadillac flanges welded on, a complete HEI distributor, alternator, an extra water pump and new in box chrome valve covers from spectre. no ac compressor or bracket for one so i'll have to acquire those later on.

the following pics are of a random piston and rod i pulled out of the bunch. they're all in the same condition so what you see here is the same for the rest of them.

the bearings to the rods are in really good shape. the main bearings show more wear but nothing abnormal or bad. i did see tiny specs of metal in the bearings, probably from the cam lobes being wiped.

the journals for the rods and main bearings looked good too but could probably use a good polishing anyway.

next is the lifter valley and inside one of the heads. the heads are grungy looking, one looking less so than the other but both are dirty. what you cant see in the pic are the lobes on the cam. i've never seen a cam like it. it looks like it was put together with no lube and then broke in without priming the oil pump. i'll put up pics of the cam later, it's atrocious. i threw the lifters away, they looked ok if you ignore the bottom of each one.

my plans for the engine so far are unwritten. i might go with EFI of some kind but i'll see how much the build will cost. otherwise i'll just stick with a Qjet. i'll keep and use the exhaust manifolds, i dont want the headers and i dont want the chrome valve covers either so i'll try to sell those. i'll switch the distributor over to HEI though and get the stuff needed for air conditioning. beyond that i'll just do a stock rebuild with a slightly better cam. it's going in a daily driver so it doesnt need to create more power than it already does, not much more anyway. this should be a fun project, i have a good core to work with and if the transmission is like the engine it wont need much either.

Attachments

• 120913_006.jpg
    120913_006.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 3,546
  • 120913_002.jpg
    120913_002.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 3,433
  • 120907_001.jpg
    120907_001.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 4,569
  • 120908_001.jpg
    120908_001.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 4,601
  • 120908_002.jpg
    120908_002.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 4,317

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010

Lots of metal shavings in there!

Best to stay with a stock build lol. If you start considering performance you might notice its actually not a bad price to upgrade.

Because you have a later model 472, you could also make it a 500 by getting crank and pistons. MTS could also sell you used pistons if you wanted the high compression versions. Cadco and MTS are probably the two best bets. The service at MTS is second to none though, and people have opinions about Cadco. MTS has cams that help improve efficiency, or "stock replacement" which is actually better than stock.

Id recommend a better timing set (or something without plastic gears anyway), and a good oil pump. The caddy's were machined with some pretty exotic tolerances so the machining tolerances are pretty well bang on. If the headgasket didnt blow, id say refresh and rebearing and be on your way. Maybe some ARP rod bolts.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky

given the price of parts i dont think i'm going to change the stroke. i could change it to a 500 crank and i could have the crank ground offset on the rod journals so i can use 6.8" big chevy rods and stroke it out to 540 CID but that's even more money and i dont really need the extra inches. i really doubt i will notice a difference in a street car between 472 and 500. at best i'll probably get smaller chamber heads and use those to bump up compression and leave the rest alone. i'd rather not use a stock cam, they have relatively small lift and i know an aftermarket cam can improve power and efficiency and it's more bang for the buck. i read an article on big engines and someone at potter automotive uses custom grind cams with shorter duration on the exhaust side. according to them the exhaust side doesnt need as much as the intake side. the MTS #3 mileage cam looks promising. 22 MPG in a 76 500 in a full size sedan deville. my car weighs much less than that... :twisted: i do need to consider fuel economy even though it is a big block. thankfully i can get by with a higher gear like a 2.73. you dont need much gearing when you have torque.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

X2 on the timing chain. It should look like a bicycle chain not a mesh chain as the mesh chains are stupid cheap and stretch quickly in a stock application. Really I am not exaggerating.

Get a 500 or aftermarket flex plate. The 472s tend the crack & warp when reused.

Like you I am a fan of the small closed chamber heads. They flow better and provide better compression. Compression up to the point of detonation is greater efficiency for both power and fuel economy. The chamber on the Cadillac head was ahead of its time as it looks much like the new LS1 heads. The motor even has the same firing order as a new LS1 motor. I ran a measured calculated 10.0-1 compression sometimes on 89 octane. Upon teardown after 9,000 miles it showed no signs of detonation. I did not have my timing maxed out but it certainly wasn't retarded so don't let some compression stop you. I decked my block for quench of about 35 to 40 thousands.

Don't expect 22 mpg. I got 17 mpg hwy with a 2.49 final drive ratio (200-4R) but it also had a little more cam than you will use. I would use a MTS-10 or equivalent for your goals. It won't hurt your mileage with some compression & my suggestion would be a 3.08 gear with the three speed. And tall bigger tires as you are going to need the traction & it will compliment the gear. I used 275/60/15s for 28" tall with a 26 tall 235/60/25 up front.

I used the G body AC with the Edelbrock intake (which saves 22lbs & frees up some HP) with the brackets & pulleys off an 80/81 368 as they used the same R4 compressor we use on the Gbody. If you upgrade to this you get lighter stamped steel pullys and a smaller lighter harmonics dampner instead of the heavy cast dampner. Less parastic loss & quicker revs. I was going to have the machine shop balance my rotating assembly anyway as a smart investment and had them do it with the dampner & flexplate. BTW I only had to modify one bracket (minor) to make my Gbody AC a bolt up.

Online 170 is a knowledgeable Cadillac gbody builder.

Basic engine parts can be had at Northernautoparts for reasonable. If you need gaskets for the early heads get them from the early 472 kits otherwise use the late 500 kits. Performance cam & lifters or performance parts I would buy from MTS or another Cadillac vendor or used off another forum memeber at http://www.cadillacpower.com/forum http://www.northernautoparts.com/Produc ... egoryId=76

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA

My local scrap /upull has 2 70's caddy's that were drove in . Have to say I cracked the hood to look at the 472"s .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor