California Emissions Legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

infantryman664

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 12, 2015
Well I bought a visually beat up 1978 Monte with a new crate 350, intake manifold, headers, carb, etc. and have spent a great deal of time and money on it. I'm moving to California and realized I may not pass smog there. I took it to a mechanic here and he said I have no chance and spurt out a list of parts I didn't recognize but didn't have on it. I'm worried because I'm not a wealthy guy. I'm an infantryman with 4 kids...and this is my daily driver now. The car doesn't even have a catylitic converter. He recommended I get collector plates registered to a family address around here before I go down so I never have to register it there. That sounds risky and I'd rather get it emissions legal if possible.

Any ideas? A list of what I need? I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
I definitely recommend leaving it registered in your home state. I think that is a common practice for military, like with the driver's license. Replacing the emissions system from scratch would be expensive.

Your car originally came with a computer controlled carb, ECM, specific distributor, smog pump, and cats. I'm not an expert at all on emissions, but if a new 350 was thrown in, it's missing all of that, and more.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If your current state has multi-year registration, renew it now, drive the crap out of it, and let it go later. Or start searching for a donor car. Can you choose another home state?

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would go with the above suggestions, I would assume even the engine itself would be deemed an illegal swap even if you did get all the emissions stuff on it.
On the other hand there are probably plenty of people on here that live in other states that are either in the process of doing a swap or have recently done one and probably would give you their take offs for the price of shipping.

Last edited:

infantryman664

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 12, 2015
I would go with the above suggestions, I would assume even the engine itself would be deemed an illegal swap even if you did get all the emissions stuff on it.
On the other hand there are probably plenty of people on here that live in other states that are either in the process of doing a swap or have recently done one and probably would give the their take offs for the price of shipping.
If not, I have a month to sell it. I can't risk driving it with collector plates and then trying to sell it in Cali would be almost impossible. That really sucks, I like this car. Land of liberty huh...

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Unless it is 1969 or older it must retain EVERY factory original piece of equipment or a registered (C.A.R.B.) replacement. Then it must also pass the actual emission test. Military exemption is the only loop hole for your car in it's current condition. If you become a resident you only have a certain grace period depends on county rules when your vehicle must be registered in California. California is the absolute worst state for car hobbyist.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Dad, take care of your four kids. Teach them well - get them involved in your hobby. When your post-military career stabilizes, start looking for another Monte. You say this one is rough anyway. Post it on the Forum and stay engaged. California is at least NOT the land of salt - you may find another one later that is is in better shape.

- Dad of three, ages 5-9. Turning wrenches soon...

DSCN5212.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I definitely recommend leaving it registered in your home state. I think that is a common practice for military, like with the driver's license. Replacing the emissions system from scratch would be expensive.

Your car originally came with a computer controlled carb, ECM, specific distributor, smog pump, and cats. I'm not an expert at all on emissions, but if a new 350 was thrown in, it's missing all of that, and more.

I thought the ecm's started in 81

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor