can i put 22s on my 86 cutlass with out lifting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

87LS/88SS

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2008
SuicidedRegal said:
I got 2" lift coils from Performance Suspension Technology. I just sold them last week. They worked great though. I've seen guys not touch the suspension & put 24"s on there cars with 275/25/24 tires.

That is not ideal if your car is a daily driver. I had 265/35/22s on the Silverado I just sold and I had to watch the pot holes, not to mention the rough ride. Let me put it this way, the ride in my 79 MC with hydraulics is not much harsher than the ride in my old 03 on those tires. I have friends who had the same tires on their daily drivers and a few of them have bent rims.

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
outsider_27 said:
CHRIZ28 said:
Haha, I dunno. They can't hold much air fully inflated anyways. lol. Might as well just be solid rubber.

Chris

I thought about that, but they'd be more hell to put on the rims than they are already. Never rode in a car with those type of rims/tires on it, but you'd have to feel every bump in the road. Can't be a very comfortable ride.

It's not too bad...I've been in a car with 295/25/28. However, just as the 275/25/24, they're not intended to be daily drivers

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Some guy with like 24s & very low profile tires broke a rim this year at the Woodward Ave dream cruise in Detroit. It was his initial outing in it. He just hit the curb / drain trying to parallel park it. He had no spare to get it home and had to have it towed. Never rode in one as the ones around here that have them are not something I would want to be seen in but I know they are not all like that. I am sure they ride rough and that you have to be careful with them. When you do see them around here they travel slow and maneuver around pot hold and are careful entering driveways and such.

thurpp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2009
ok thx so if i put air bags on my suspension would i be able to put 22s on it

n33no

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2008
St. Louis, MO
You dont need air bags. Just get new shocks and springs.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
imo i think 22's are way to big for g bodys, you can fit a 20 in there and make them look really nice! i think on malibu racing they have a thread with g bodys and 20's.

SuicidedRegal

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2009
Ohio
My Regal is bagged on 20's & it's about 3" higher than stock when fully inflated & about 5-6" lower than stock deflated. BTW. My car has 255/35/20 tires on it & it rides great & handles awesome.

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
You can definitely put 22's on there without any modifications. The only thing you need to change are the tires (has to be a 30-series) and you may need spacers to push the back rims off the frame (depending on the width)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor