Can Someone PLEASE Explain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
LOL per George Carlin
'Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?'

2 not at fault accidents in almost 30 years of driving in one of the North Americas largest cities with a passive/ aggressive driving style in everything from a transport truck to a miata. Plenty and I do mean almost weekly close calls. Like others have said, you need to look where you are going and anticipate all the stop sign rollers, unmarked lane changers, red light runners, all whilst trying to stay calm. Its not easy but I really want to go home at night, not end up in the ER. My wife blows a gasket in the passenger seat and wonders why I am not getting upset when driving in downtown Toronto traffic. I would rather begrudgingly let someone butt in or make an unsafe lane change in front of me than have to get into an accident. Phones are the worst distraction by far

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
One of the few stop lights on my way to work is at the end of my road. It's a 4 way intersection. I can't remember how many times I've been sitting there and the light turned green for me and I eased forward to make sure it was clear before taking off and a tractor trailer would blow through the red light. If I would have blindly accelerated just because the light was green, I'd probably have been killed or badly injured. Always look before you take off from an intersection no matter what color the light is. Be a wolf, not a sheep.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I drive tractor trailer and at this 4 way intersection when I have a red light I always see this guy sitting at a green light so I just keep going...:p

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
I've occasionally thought about my own driving style and what personal rules I follow. This discussion gave me the motivation to put them down to paper, feel free to critique:

1. Set-up your mirrors to make the blind spot on both sides as small as possible.

2. Maintain in your mind an “overhead” picture of where cars are around you

3. When changing lanes do so only after the turn signal has flashed 3 times; use the time interval to check where you are moving

4. Avoid changing lanes into or out of someone else’s blind spot (vehicle’s rear quarter)

5. Another’s following distance is NOT “your space”

6. Keep right except to pass

7. Those in the lane(s) to your left have the right of way, which includes the right to maintain speed; let the faster traffic pass before changing lanes, to include slowing-down if you have to

8. Your foot does not have to always be on either the accelerator/throttle or the brake pedal; it’s OK to coast

9. If you are in the fast lane and have to keep braking for traffic in front of you, you are going too fast for traffic; wait until there are less vehicles on the road before resuming desired speed

10. Be predictable to other drivers & move-about smartly

11. In stop-and-go traffic, only advance when the car in front has stopped and there is at least one car length in front of you; as you gain experience you’ll be able to adapt to maintaining a following distance at low speed

12. At a 4-way stop, the “stop” point is at the painted line; if there is no line then stop at the last point that doesn’t impede cross-traffic

13. At a 4-way stop, note which other vehicles are first-in-line/already there/are already stopped; your turn is after those other vehicles have each gone their way

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
this person shouldn't have a licence, if you can't get a Jeep out of this then you need to stay home on the couch.....

CyScWrlWQAAuQVb.jpg

• Agree

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I don't think anyone has said anything I haven't seen or that I disagree with. It's nuts, people are too comfortable. They expect their abs, 4wd, stability control, airbags, crumple zones, ect to protect them from their stupidity, and it does to an extent. People walk away from many crashes today. There is no real fear of injury or consequence for actions. I grew up driving old cars in the modern age, it definitely gives you a reality check. Driving a 4k lbs car with 4 wheels drums, no seat belts, steel dash, and poor steering response gives you an appreciation for the machine. No one today has experienced brake fade on a panic stop from 60, or descending a steep grade.
Further, I love how people think that driving a bigger vehicle helps prevent people from cutting you off. I drive an extended cab long bed ram 2500 on 35's every day, its not the biggest thing on the road, but its big enough, people still behave the same around me as they do a Hyundai. These people are just oblivious to whats around them. These are the same people who will lane change into a trailer with a car on it during the day, or at night while its fully lit up with side markers. Just oblivious.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
this person shouldn't have a licence, if you can't get a Jeep out of this then you need to stay home on the couch.....

CyScWrlWQAAuQVb.jpg

I had my old Chevy truck in a lot rougher spots than that in a lot deeper snow and I never got stuck.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I had my old Chevy truck in a lot rougher spots than that in a lot deeper snow and I never got stuck.

You should see what I go through with a 93 dakota... its my plow truck, and the goodyear 235's do AMAZING. I've been pushing snow with it for years and have yet to get stuck, even in 28" overnight last winter, with some major drifts, some deeper than 6'!

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
every time I get mad about how other people drive....I flash back to every time I did something stupid while driving....and it evens itself out. Except for those lane blockers, they suck.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor