Can you believe the bidding for this wagon?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Regardless of the amount it sold for, someone got one cool unmolested wagon. What seems like a lot of dough for some of us, some others would say that's a drop in the bucket. Good score never the less.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
3 speed manual was standard and almost none were built. 4 speeds were rare then and somewhat hunted by car guys, most dealers would not order a 4 speed car. You had to have a solid rep with your dealer and usually a large non refundable deposit. No dealer wanted to be "stuck" with a 4 speed car that virtually nobody wanted. A friend of mine was the son of a Cadillac/Gmc/Amc dealer and he ordered a '78 GMC Caballero with the 305 4 speed for his demo. He wanted the 350 but only get it with auto trans, so he took the 305. His was full gauges with tach like my '78 ElCamino SS 350 car was, but his also had buckets/console/pw,pl, power seat, tilt, cruise, etc... I'd like to have that GMC today.

wagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2009
manchester,nh
for 78 a 3 speed manual was standard, 4 speed was $125 more, 3 speed auto(either th200 or th250) was $307, 79 the 4 speed was $135 and the auto was $335, 80 the 4 speed was gone from all g-bodies, auto was $358, 81 the auto was $349, and 82-83 was 3 speed auto only. but like was said before the dealers never usually wanted a standard trans family car so I'm sure a stick was something you had to order although i bet by 81 the factory was forcing dealers to take some stick cars so they could use up the parts they made. the 4 speed was a cast iron saginaw so its certainly nothing good performance wise, only the camaro could get a borg warner super t10. power steering and brakes were also technically options 78-79 but i've never seen a g-body without either of those. buick century and regal could be had with a 3 or 4 speed 78-79(and 80 for century only) but only behind a 3.8, they gave up on manuals before the rest of gm did with no 81 availability. cutlass could be had with the 4 speed 78-79 or even a 5 speed in 79 only, 80-81 were 3 speeds or auto. pontiac was the same with 78-79 4 speeds then 3 speed only for 80-81. i've often wondered if gm was close to letting the standard trans live on in g-bodies because an 82 f-body bellhousing is multifit with the fork positioned low like the g body one was, that was its only year since 83 the t5 came along and they used that weird tilted bellhousing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor