MALIBU Can you help me spot defects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Kevin,
Thank you for pointing out other cars and options to Austin. I would much rather find a nice(r) original car with little to no rust issues. I agree that the owner is asking way too much for that car. What's the term for that....a 10 footer?

The two Malibus that you posted pics of were both bucket seat console cars, which makes them quite desirable...but both cars looked clean, original and non-molested. That's what I'd be ultimately looking for. The cleaner the better....especially if you have no intentions of doing bodywork.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Austin schlacter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2018
I really dont want to do any body work, And when I called to talk they said he stuck his finger through the spot on the rocker / pillar. They will be detailing the car before I get there they said.
I will be bringing my dad who seems to know everything and anything really does amaze me how much he knows. Also that rear passenger 1/4 seems to have bad waving. They haven't sent me photos of that part of the car which makes me concerned. I will be asking for more photos before we make a 5 hour round trip.

I really would like another summer car soon but I will not make myself buy something that I know isnt worth it. Im bringing a jack and lifting the car to see underneath it

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I really dont want to do any body work, And when I called to talk they said he stuck his finger through the spot on the rocker / pillar. They will be detailing the car before I get there they said.
I will be bringing my dad who seems to know everything and anything really does amaze me how much he knows. Also that rear passenger 1/4 seems to have bad waving. They haven't sent me photos of that part of the car which makes me concerned. I will be asking for more photos before we make a 5 hour round trip.

I really would like another summer car soon but I will not make myself buy something that I know isnt worth it. Im bringing a jack and lifting the car to see underneath it

I would not bother to head on a 5 hour trip for a car that is way overpriced. If you have $5,000 to spend you can find a G body better equipped, in better shape and probably closer to home. Where are you located?

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Austin schlacter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2018
I would not bother to head on a 5 hour trip for a car that is way overpriced. If you have $5,000 to spend you can find a G body better equipped, in better shape and probably closer to home. Where are you located?
I am back and forth between Regina Saskatchewan & Weyburn Saskatchewan.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I'd say run away from that car. Superficially it presents okay but I see the same problems everyone else has noted. With the rust repair just seen in the video the paint might as well be original and half missing, there's a lot of hidden problems there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Personally, not to burst your bubble, I would look for a more solid car in a better price range. Like I said earlier, I think the car is overpriced and I foresee you dumping more money into it to get the body in shape. I wouldn't mind spending that amount if I knew the car was a good solid car to begin with that didn't need rust repair and paint. That alone would save you a boatload of money.
So...I would reconsider the 5 hr roundtrip. That's potentially 5 wasted hrs you won't get back.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
another thing to consider regarding a 5 hour drive the gas prices here in Canada are getting ridiculous....it's $100 to fill my 04 Jeep

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I agree with everyone else that said walk away from that one. It looks like it could be a bondo box thats going to fall apart after you spend good money on it. Look for something cleaner.

• Agree

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
another thing to consider regarding a 5 hour drive the gas prices here in Canada are getting ridiculous....it's $100 to fill my 04 Jeep
That's a valid point, Steve.
Nothing like going on a long road trip that turns out to be unproductive.
I don't like to sound negative, but something tells me you're going to find more issues with this car than you want to deal with.

We've all been there before, buying someone's POS. That's how we learned what to buy and what to stay away from.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor