MALIBU Can you help me spot defects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Something I keep thinking and may not matter to you is this is a base model Malibu. No power options, no tilt or A/C...all kinda nice for a summer "street" car but I don't think at that price especially needing body work. In your first post you mentioned you might pay as much as $5000 for the car which makes me think they are asking more for it?

In the end I guess it's your choice, you know best your budget and mechanical/body work limitations and will do what you think is best.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I don't know if you are only interested in a Malibu but here is a sweet looking low mileage loaded Cutlass that is around 1 hour away from you and $100 less than the Malubu owner is asking for......

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-car...me/1348677229?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$_59.JPG

Steve I've been considering this one for a while now....just not sure I want the light blue interior....I have talked with the owner..

It does sound like a nice one....I see he's put hubcaps back on it...had ralley wheels last I saw it.

Last edited:

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Steve I've been considering this one for a while now....just not sure I want the light blue interior....I have talked with the owner..

It does sound like a nice one....I see he's put hubcaps back on it...had ralley wheels last I saw it.

Thats a clean car but the pillow seats would kill the deal for me. Too much like Grandmas sofa. LOL

• Agree

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Ive gone on way too many long road trips to look at junk. From Long Island to KY to look at a 71 Nova that was a piece of junk with new paint. A few years before I bought the wagon I drove to RI in the pouring rain to look at a one owner Malibu. Tolls over the bridges, towing my trailer. It was an expensive ride for nothing. The guy said it was recently painted. He even gave me the number for the body shop. The guy at the shop said the only rust was on the hood and they fixed it. Car was in a garage. I popped the trunk, reached into the quarters and felt the jagged edge of rot that they left when they lap welded the seam. Doors were blown out at the bottom and covered with sealer. I closed the door, walked out of the garage with my son and my buddy, got in the truck and drove away. I never even spoke to the guy selling the car.

Ive learned over the years that a lot of people selling cars just suck. They lie. Its not their time thats wasted nor their money.
These days I ask for very specific photos. If the spots look bad in a picture, most likely its going to look even worse in person. Dont want to spend time taking the photos I ask for, conversations over. Its that simple. Thats the reason I still have my wagon. I was trying to buy another Monte SS up in the NW corner of VT. At least 7-8 hrs away. Friend of mine was going to buy my wagon. I asked the owner for photos of the door bottoms, interior and a few others. He reposted the ad on CL with a few pictures taken in a dark garage. He refused to send me any more. I walked away and kept my wagon.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I echo what everyone else said, with the following additional observations:

1) in the first second the paint on the top of the fender looks to have peeling clear on the top fender surface?

2) around seconds 37/38 that lower quarter distorts the reflection of the running board pretty bad, but the board itself is pretty straight.

3) look at the background - it's been sitting on dirt. Parked car sitting on dirt = rust issues

4) the interior when he's showing mileage and such... he didn't spend a ton of time detailing it, it's still dusty and dirty inside.

5) it runs, but the underhood scene is nothin to write home about and pretty dirty.

Thats a premium price for a car that looks to be hiding lots of issues. That rotted hinge pillar to rocker area means rust inside the body caverns. You're going to have a hard enough time getting patch panels for the rust that's there let alone finding a donor to cut the stuff they don't even make - a la hinge pillar.

I'd bet those distorted reflections are bono stuffed into holes, and before the paint, this was a rusty car. I'd wager it's being sold because the owner knows it's about to go downhill and be something that isn't worth the cost to save.

In my experience, when your gut is telling you "I think there's big issues here" you best listen to it. Don't let your desire for a car of that type override reason. Waiting longer for something better is a far superior choice than getting something just to have something.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thats a clean car but the pillow seats would kill the deal for me. Too much like Grandmas sofa. LOL

I agreed with you but it's easier to change the interior than it would be to get the Malibu in good shape, plus the interior in the Malibu would isn't that great either.

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You're so much better off starting with something like that Cutlass. Just my opinion.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor