Canadian G.N. for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
the car in the link is a running car looks like it is ready for the road, not one that sat in storage for the last 17 years and who knows maybe the seals in the turbo have dried up amongst other problems. But then again you know what the car is worth so I hope your happy with your purchase.
Valve seals and piston rings love sitting unlubed without the engine being started for 2 decades.

Really, it's the best preservation technique...

Look at the bright side, you get a GN and a mosquito fogger all in one!

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
with a car that sits 17 years who knows what it needs....
I wasn't trying to start a sh#*tstorm here. Steve I'm not disagreeing with your points either. I'm just curious as to why the OP says that the seller should be asking $10,000.00, and how he arrived at that number. I can say, that from my own recent experience, you never know what you're going to find, until you actually go and inspect a car first hand. You can find an absolute disaster area, or you can be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I wasn't trying to start a sh#*tstorm here. Steve I'm not disagreeing with your points either. I'm just curious as to why the OP says that the seller should be asking $10,000.00, and how he arrived at that number. I can say, that from my own recent experience, you never know what you're going to find, until you actually go and inspect a car first hand. You can find an absolute disaster area, or you can be pleasantly surprised.

you didn't start anything, I really think he trying to get what he has sunk into storage fees and probably insurance

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Nice clean 87' GN's are listed for $20,000 - $25,000 around here with average mileage but most of these are occasional driver's that probably don't need much work
Lower mileage ones will approach $30,000 asking price but of coarse I don't know what the actual final sale prices are.
I think the owner should have cleaned it up and got it legal to drive and take it out and make sure it doesn't need anything before asking $25,000

Reactions: 4 users

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
I mostly start threads like this for the entertainment value.

If you frequent Turbobuick.com like I do, you'll see what the real value of these cars are. You can buy an average mile, tastefully modded example that is "car show ready" for around $15K that is road worthy and you can enjoy the day you bring it home.

Low mile/ stockish cars fetch a bit more but most educated owners will make subtle changes to alleviate the problematic G.M. shortcomings. Lots of them in the $25K asking range but I doubt they actually sell for that.

The car in question looks stock,(needs fuel system parts,rear main is leaking,brake work,ect….) paint is awful, (don't kid yourself, that lacquer is checked and scratched to hell), tires, the list is gonna be long.

Not to mention after sitting that long, when you start driving it that thing is gonna leak from every seal it has.

All this has to be taken into consideration when you buy an old car. Purchase price is just a portion of the total cost.

This fantasy that Grand Nationals are worth all this money is just that. In their time they were the shiit but stock ones are about as quick as your average family sedan. Translation- needs modifications=money. If you think you can buy one and be the quickest car on your block, watch out for that 4 door milf-mobile. She's gonna embarrass you.

I said $10K because after factoring in all the work a car like that will need for me to wanna be proud to rock it through my town, you'll have double that spent in no time. Sadly in the end, with 100k, it's a $15k car at best unless you find a buyer who just doesn't know what he's getting into. If you've never owned one, you can't convince me otherwise. They're not a typical G-Body with a V8.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015

This is a 28k mile Turbo-T for comparison.
He's asking $25. Likely sell in the $22K range.

It's not a G.N. but most real Turbo Buick fans actually prefer other versions of the turbo Regal and they're a lot rarer in most cases.

• Love
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019

Now a GN is no Daytona but it's also 1/100th of the price. The problem is you guys are using logic and your probably not the market audience for the car. That Ferrari set into motion a trend for barn finds that sat for years to sell for big bucks and the dirt/dust has command higher selling prices at auction. Mostly this applies to cars much more rare than a GN, but maybe the seller is hoping he can find one of these "Barn Find Hunters" to pay up for his dusty GN. Also the 26 mile GNX that sold for $200K do you think that car didn't sit up for the better part of 30 years?

This'll be a good test of the actual market right now:
Same car just only 6,000 miles. Again it's probably sat stored a long time as well over the last 33 years to only accumulate 6,000 miles. This one is being sold by a dealer and they did some paint work, replaced the tires (assume the ones on it were dry rot and square from sitting) and put on new shocks probably cause the originals had rotted leaky seals. This one has a day left in the auction is already almost $10K more than the Canadian car.

The seller could be one of those guys that can't even change his own oil, so it might not be cheap for him to fix/clean up the car. Lots of guys make a living on buying rare cars from people that need to be fixed up or cleaned up to be sold. The seller makes no mention of the mechanical condition of the car, but assume it starts and runs.

I'm still not sure if it's our best interest as owners for these cars for their values to go up or not. On one hand if you own one or several you're able to possibly make some money, but on the other it could inhibit buying another if the prices go too high. Personally I'd like to see the values of these cars (all Gbodies not just the GNs) climb and loose the stigma of being more at home in a trailer park, and become more respected at the car shows.
Agree totally with you! There are so many individuals in life and on HERE, that are in the belief system that if they own it, its worth millions, if someone else is selling it, it should be free, just don't get that mentality. OBVIOUSLY everyone wants a LOW MILAGE car, and they BRING BETTER monies, yet people b*tch that a car sat most of its life!???? Well how do you suppose it has no miles on it if it didn't sit "most of its life"...some of the so called " logic" on here leaves me clueless lol

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada

This is a 28k mile Turbo-T for comparison.
He's asking $25. Likely sell in the $22K range.

It's not a G.N. but most real Turbo Buick fans actually prefer other versions of the turbo Regal and they're a lot rarer in most cases.

No, most turbo Buick fans do not want the rarer T Type, they want a GN. The market will also support this debate.

As for a desirable car that has sat for 17 years. As a buyer of a collectable car in that is 30 years old. That is 17 years it's not be driven andworn out. Personally I would have no problem fixing and replacing soft parts due to an extended storage.

I just bought an 87 GN. Before the purchase I looked at 5 of them within a 6 month span.

Actually almost bought the car you described, it was another 87, never winter driven, no rust, T top, 170,000km for $15,500 (about $10 U.S.) Probably driven a few thousand km's every month in the summers. Good for the seals right? Complete running driving car, just like you say but it was worn. Everything was 30 years old and it showed. Carpet, seats, headliner, paint, engine, suspension, body, ,doors, trim, window seals, dash cracked, glass, ALL worn. I did leave a deposit on it but walked away from it after thinking about the full restoration it would need or the $20k to be a 20k car. As rough as it was, it did sell a week later, so the market is there for them, at all levels.

(18US) $25 Canadian for the Canadian GN that sat for 17 years is an absolutely fair price and as soon as this covid clears, I garanty that car will be sold.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
$25 Canadian (18US) is an absolutely fair price and as soon as this covid clears, I garanty that car will be sold.
P.T. Barnum was right about fools and money.

There's probably some fool with more money than sense that would buy that turd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor