Can't figure out loose steering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
There's about 10-20 degrees of steering wheel play before the wheels start to move. I'm thinking that these guys are right about it being a junk remanned unit.

We have a customer with a 61 impala we swapped in a power steering kit yrs ago. We had also completely rebuilt all of the suspension and steering. Last yr the customer complained about the loose steering. I spent a bit of time trying to pinpoint the slack. The slack was in the remanned 605 box that came with the "kit". I checked the sector gear adjustment and it was good. Suggested a 500 box which i believe will swap in.

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
Been finding a lot of 800 series on Ebay for sale from 80's era cars. But they say they will not fit a '79. All say '80-'87. Correct me if I'm wrong, but every unit manufactured from '78-'87, both 600 and 800 series will physically interchange year to year, correct?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Been finding a lot of 800 series on Ebay for sale from 80's era cars. But they say they will not fit a '79. All say '80-'87. Correct me if I'm wrong, but every unit manufactured from '78-'87, both 600 and 800 series will physically interchange year to year, correct?
Somewhere in the early 80s they changed from flare fittings to O ring seals on the steering box. Need adaptors to use the stock lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Somewhere in the early 80s they changed from flare fittings to O ring seals on the steering box.
It was 1980 on A/G bodies.. up to79 was inverted flare, 80+ is O-ring.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Somewhere in the early 80s they changed from flare fittings to O ring seals on the steering box.
It is '78-'79 with inch flair fittings, box & pump. From '80-'88 with metric O ring fittings also box & pump. GM across the board converted to the metric O ring fittings in '80.

Edit-slow & beat to the punch.

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
Brilliant. So any box from 78-87 will bolt in, just need to order the fitting adaptors, then, right?

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
If I recall correctly, even some of the 90's XJ and ZJ steering boxes are compatible with the G-Bodies and are a fairly easy way to get a quick ratio box if you get one from a V8 ZJ. I do believe that the pitman arm will need swapped over, though.

Reactions: 1 user

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Before you buy anything. Steering box or have the internet blame your rag joint. Diagnose 1st. Like oldsofb said, it's a mechanical connection. Find the slop before spending any money buying and installing parts.
There is nothing wrong with a rag joint. When they are new, there is zero slop.

What is the caster settings on your alignment and what is your tire size. I am also concerned with what you are comparing this G body too. They will never be as tight as a new Corvette but if the slop is indeed excessive, it should not be hard to find.

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
Before you buy anything. Steering box or have the internet blame your rag joint. Diagnose 1st. Like oldsofb said, it's a mechanical connection. Find the slop before spending any money buying and installing parts.
There is nothing wrong with a rag joint. When they are new, there is zero slop.

What is the caster settings on your alignment and what is your tire size. I am also concerned with what you are comparing this G body too. They will never be as tight as a new Corvette but if the slop is indeed excessive, it should not be hard to find.
Not all rag joints are created equal....

I believe your steering shaft is the culprit. I bought a brand new one off Ebay and installed it with no improvement from the old one. It ended up being the rag joint. The rubber is so soft, it compresses whenever you turn the shaft. This is what caused my steering slop. Went to the junkyard and grabbed a Jeep Cherokee steering shaft, modified it, installed it and never looked back.

Replacement Unit - Sent Back For Refund
View attachment 180094

Junkyard Unit - Top / Original Unit - Bottom
View attachment 180095

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
Replaced the rag joint with Kevlar enforced rubber (like a snowmobile track). Stiffer than stock. Replaced all moving front end parts, stock 14" ralleye rims, camber, caster, and toe all set to stock specs. Not sure what else there could be

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor