Car gets hot with ac lever on cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Not to mention they are just a great tool to have. Especially since they are fairly cheap these days

it is a great tool, it I have a miss takes me seconds to find which cylinder is cool by reading the temperature of the header tubes

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
A few thoughts: have you ever replaced the fan clutch? Ever think about electric fans? If A/C is not in the future, pull the condenser because it is blocking some flow through the radiator.
Fan clutch is new, don't know if it was heavy duty or not. I had my little brother run to the parts store to get it last year when I put the motor in. It's been fine so far. AC is in the future, but the condensor is still in the car. It may be full of dirt and other sh*t from being exposed for 3 years. electric fans have crossed my mind, but it won't be done until I can make it exactly how I want it.
I just don't know why it ONLY "overheats" if the car is already at temp, I turn the blend door from hot to cold. Vent position doesn't matter, fan speed doesn't matter. It will do it regardless. The more I think on it, I think the heater core being in a confined space with the only heat outlet closed (blend door in cold position) is making the gauge read higher, because it is. It's basically a lil radiator confined just emanating heat with no air flow. Once I open it again and all that heat floods out, it cools back down within 45 seconds to a minute. I think I'm gonna order a new radiator after the holidays. I never liked my dinky *ss radiator anyway. A properly sized ALL ALUMINUM radiator will be the first part i change, this friday I will mosey on down the harbor freight and see if I cant get a hold of a temp gun.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The more I think on it, I think the heater core being in a confined space with the only heat outlet closed (blend door in cold position) is making the gauge read higher, because it is. It's basically a lil radiator confined just emanating heat with no air flow.
Our cars have "Astro Ventilation" that will flow outside air in through the heater unit regardless of being on/off & never really close off the the system. The only way the over heat the core would be you physically blocking all possible ways the air enters & exits.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor