Car problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

86CutlassUCF

Master Mechanic
Nov 14, 2008
Central FL
So I was having problems like rough starts and car just shutting off at lights unless i put it in N or Park and even shutting off at 65mph. mechanic said it was the carb so i got a new one. Im still kinda having those problems. The car seems to idle kinda weird at lights. It hasnt turned off on me yet but the rpms do get kinda low like its going to turn off and it is also hard to start on occasion ill have to floor it till it turns on.

Its a 307 in an 86 cutlass

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
sounds like it could be the advance on your distributor. Needs to be turned higher....i think i know what i am saying ha timing is off possibly

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when was the last time you've done a tune up....it may be the timing or a bad set of wires and/or plugs...and I'd be going back to that mech who said you needed a new carb. If you bought a new one it must have cost you a few $$$ and it sounds like it's running about the same before you changed the carb

86CutlassUCF

Master Mechanic
Nov 14, 2008
Central FL
its not running the same but not like it should be either. the mechanic who said i need a new carb is not the same one who put it in so who knows. in Park the car idles around 1500 in drive it idles around 1000? is that how it should be? (if the gauge is even right, either way its idleing around 500rpm difference between park and drive) its fine when it reads 1500 feels weird at 1000

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Maybe a possible vacuum leak.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
was the carb adjusted properly when the new one was installed? or just bolted on

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
86CutlassUCF said:
its not running the same but not like it should be either. the mechanic who said i need a new carb is not the same one who put it in so who knows. in Park the car idles around 1500 in drive it idles around 1000? is that how it should be? (if the gauge is even right, either way its idleing around 500rpm difference between park and drive) its fine when it reads 1500 feels weird at 1000

Mine idles higher in park, but not that high. Just adjust with a screw driver. Are you still having problems with the over 65 mark? This is most likely the transmission/vacuum.

phaZe

Greasemonkey
Aug 16, 2008
86CutlassUCF said:
So I was having problems like rough starts and car just shutting off at lights unless i put it in N or Park and even shutting off at 65mph. mechanic said it was the carb so i got a new one. Im still kinda having those problems. The car seems to idle kinda weird at lights. It hasnt turned off on me yet but the rpms do get kinda low like its going to turn off and it is also hard to start on occasion ill have to floor it till it turns on.

Its a 307 in an 86 cutlass
Sounds like a mixture issue and at higher speeds it could be shutting off because the engine isn't getting enough fuel compared to as much air is getting in and it's being suffocated with air.

When you put it in Neutral it is allowing the engine to run freely without any load on it and the same goes with Park. When you put in in Drive or Reverse it is having to use some power, even if you're not going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor