Car wash tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Ok so it seems like everytime I wash my car it feels a lot cleaner but looks like *ss what are some good tips and tricks to washing cars and shortcuts / so on

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Could be worse, I washed malibu the other day only see some of my paint fly away, maybe I should say it's balding? :lol:

Drying your car helps, hand washing is best, done in the shade, wash roof-rinse, wash hood-rinse, wash decklid-rinse, bodyside-rinse, other bodyside-rinse, takes a while, but great results. I like the water blades for drying, much quicker than any towel type I've tried.

84cutty24

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2011
PHOENIX ARIZONA
i use this product by eagle one thats called wax as you dry you spray it on after you washed it and it cleans the car really good and gives your paint a good shine.. they sell it at auto zone walmart or auto parts...give it a try might give the finish that your looking for.. 8)

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Oldsmoletick said:
Drying your car helps, hand washing is best, done in the shade, wash roof-rinse, wash hood-rinse, wash decklid-rinse, bodyside-rinse, other bodyside-rinse, takes a while, but great results. I like the water blades for drying, much quicker than any towel type I've tried.
this is the old school way to wash a car. I always wet the car first to loosen the heavy dirt. And I change the soap bucket often...use a good soap like Meguires Gold. And try to use good clean water. Well water has a lot of minerals in it and will leave spots.

As for drying it... I used a synthetic chamios and it works pretty good. If the paint has a good wax on it, the water will bead up and not streak or spot usually. Then I clean all the glass with vinegar water...then I polish the chrome/ss....then spray wax the paint...I save the wheels for last..then move inside...A good wash/detail takes at least 2-3 hours or more.

gp02a0083

Master Mechanic
May 17, 2011
I agree with bill, it will usually take me about 2-4 hours to just clean and detail the interior, an hour or two more if I'm buffing / waxing the paint.

I follow a good amount of the same steps bill takes:

I wash the car to rinse off any heavy dirt. The soap bucket and sponge are rinsed prior to filling the bucket and adding soap. (I've had decent results using different car soaps, ive tried everything from Eagle one ICE to turtle wax Zip wax and even the cheap stuff from Wal-mart. I didn't like the eagle one stuff because it seems that the soap doesn't rinse off easily and leaves more residue than other car washes.) The car is hand washed using a separate brush and rag starting with the wheels and lower chrome trim with a tar and bug remover, I like Castrol super clean cut 50/50. After that the rest of the car is washed with a different sponge.
I rinse the car after to remove the soap, starting on the roof from the drivers side rinsing the soap off to the passenger side, then the hood and trunk are done the same way. Then i rinse the drivers side then the passenger side. Then I clay bar the car and use a detail spray wax, then i rinse again. I dry the car with an absorber (synthetic) chamois , cleaning and rinsing it first before drying the car, a regular shower towel is used to clean the lower stainless / chrome trim and the rims/wheels. After its dried it gets a coat of tech wax 2.0.

Compounding, buffing and waxing the car is a whole extra day or two

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
tc1959 said:
I take it to the hand wash and pay them $15 to do it, It comes out great.
It's pretty easy and I get to go next door and have a cold beer. :wink: :rofl:

that's not a trick, that's just smart... :mrgreen:

chstonebraker

Greasemonkey
Feb 27, 2012
pontiacgp said:
tc1959 said:

hell even better if you can catch girls in bikinis doing a car wash. lol

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
pontiac gp said:
tc1959 said:

The trick part is My Ol lady doesn't know that there is a bar by the car wash :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor