Carb Cheater

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
This guy(LUKE) is an engineer by trade and has done a great many things, this is just another one in the bucket, just for us carburetored guys. Fascinating

Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I was tempted to get in on the Beta test for one of these, but my wallet couldn't justify the cost at the time. Extremely cool concept though.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
If you notice the ECU, theres an IAC with a filter element attached to it, the the IAC draws in air from the filter and then adds extra air, via the two rubber hoses that attach to the carburetor spacer, it effectively leans/richens out the A/F mixture thats being adjusted from the O2 sensor reading during ide/cruise and wot, depending how you set it up from the APP on the phone.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I don't think it does anything to the carb itself. It just messes with the AFR and using the wideband, it modulates a vacuum/purge valve to open and add air when AFR is too rich, and closes when it's too lean. MOST conventional (non-CCC) carbs are set on the rich side, so a calibrated and controlled vacuum leak will "correct" the AFR, or at least send it in the right direction, and helps band-aid the issue. Obviously continous readout and variability makes it respond. The shorter the vacuum lines, the better the feedback. If you have a stubborn carb you can't get tuned right, this may help. But for $383 for the rather simplistic kit...I don't know if it's not worth learning how to tune your carb yourself. For that kind of money you could just about get a good rebuild on your current carb. Just my opinion.

The ECM on CCC cars does just the opposite. It meters the fuel through the mixture control solenoid to try and strive for that 14:7 magical AFR among other things.

Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
The thing that appealed to me was it should be able to compensate for temperature and make the cold starting a little less cranky.

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
This guy(LUKE) is an engineer by trade and has done a great many things, this is just another one in the bucket, just for us carburetored guys. Fascinating

that dude is outta his mind. lol a lawn mower carb on a ford 302 goin out on power tour with a controlled vacuum leak and this yr went out this yr with a intake that's questionable if can clear overhead bridges. lol i so wanna see that thing crusin down the hwy with that but cant watch 20k vids to hopefully see that, i seen that vid but yet been unable to watch yet cuz its long, am a Qjet guy and a total luddite. anything involving a "smart phone" count me out.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The thing that appealed to me was it should be able to compensate for temperature and make the cold starting a little less cranky.
I'm trying to think how it would have any effect on the cranking up on a cold or warm morning. It's probably not going to register anything until it's running since the AFR probably won't be changing much until it fires.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor