Carb? Torque converter? Or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubenr1980

n00b
Sep 26, 2021
1986 Buick Regal v6 , after car is running for about 30 minutes, it starts stalling out . I will stop at a light and when I take off it dies ….. could it be the carb ? The sensors on the carb? What do you think

Attachments

• ACEF5BD2-70E2-4DEC-B9B8-900BA5B9E3F1.jpeg
    ACEF5BD2-70E2-4DEC-B9B8-900BA5B9E3F1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 114

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
I think sensors probably, have you thought to see if you're getting enough fuel? maybe remove the inlet fuel line from the carb and cycle the keys, assuming you have a electric sending unit or efi whatever its called.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I see someone mangled the fuel line and unhooked the charcoal canister. Always start with simple things like the fuel filter, change it. Is the check engine light on?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Could be a lot of things. Float could be sticking in the carb and when you open throttle after the stop the af mixture is off and stalls.

Is it only with a stoplight or are there any other changes in drivability as things heat up in the engine bay?

Are there any stored ecm codes if you use the paperclip trick to try pulling the codes on the blinking idiot light?

If there were some sensor off, or something not reading properly leading the ecm to mismanage the ccc system I'd expect a code.

Have you pulled spark plugs to check for deposits? How's the tailpipe, any fouling that doesn't belong? Have you pulled the fuel filter to check for debris/bad gas?

There's so many possibilities here it's tough to know where to start. For example, we had a bad batch of gas once in one of the Cutlass Supremes I could drive it a bit while the gas circulated and trash got sucked up. After a certain number of minutes so much crud attached to the fuel sock we had fuel starvation and the car died. It sat, the crud dropped off, and we could repeat the process.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Could be a bad accel pump, modern gas will quickly eat low quality accel pump seals.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Could be a bad accel pump, modern gas will quickly eat low quality accel pump seals.
Just another reason why with the number of miles I drive I just put ethanol free into anything I own that was made prior to 2002 (which by default jumps back to 1987-down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor