Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds without EFE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaelweez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2016
I'm wondering if there is a good oem set of cast exhaust manifolds from another GM vehicle that would work on a 1984 305 el camino that do not utilize the EFE valve on the passenger side? I'm currently running the oem manifolds with pypes down tubes and true dual x pipe exhaust but I'd like a set of manifolds that does not have the EFE or the heat riser tubing provisions.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Just remove the flapper, its shaft, the vacuum pot, then plug the holes. It should be OK from there. I'm doing that for the one I'm planning to use.

Michaelweez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2016
Just remove the flapper, its shaft, the vacuum pot, then plug the holes. It should be OK from there. I'm doing that for the one I'm planning to use.

I did do this already and it seems to work ok. I'm looking for something that's better flowing as well, I still have a few leaks on the right side and if I'm going to remove it to replace gaskets I'd rather but something else in there.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Try a hi temp copper gasket sealant on the flat gasket for a better seal. There is a replacement non EFE one for the 3 stud manifolds but I haven't seen anything for the 2 stud manifolds.

Michaelweez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2016
Try a hi temp copper gasket sealant on the flat gasket for a better seal. There is a replacement non EFE one for the 3 stud manifolds but I haven't seen anything for the 2 stud manifolds.

Good point about the 2 bolt versus 3 bolt flange. I looked over rockauto and they only seem to sell the left side manifold for 78+ caminos. Copper gasket sealer is a good tip as well, perhaps I can get this sealed up well enough as is!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I also should of asked if you had newer or older style manifolds since the new came in both 2 & 3 stud. The Pypes head pipes for G's with both left & right newer style. I am personally using a set of older ones. if you have a mixed set you'll have to change the older style for the newer one from what their tech guy told me.

Michaelweez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2016
I also should of asked if you had newer or older style manifolds since the new came in both 2 & 3 stud. The Pypes head pipes for G's with both left & right newer style. I am personally using a set of older ones. if you have a mixed set you'll have to change the older style for the newer one from what their tech guy told me.

How would I tell if the manifolds are old or new style?

Michaelweez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2016

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
These folks sell eliminator spacers. See if one will work for you. If you go to different manifolds, you'll have to modify your exhaust. If you don't mind modifying your exhaust, maybe go with some shorty headers.
http://www.hamiltonmanufacturing.ca/hrv.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor