catalytic converter laws in VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I guess... Or maybe I just figured that no one gives a crap about the casting numbers, especially some dude who gets paid flat rate and wants to get things done and in and out of his shop as fast as possible so that he can make more money instead of wasting time looking at block casting numbers. Or through books and the internet trying to find out what year the block was cast so that he can hook you up with an emissions exemption on a car that legally has to meet emissions standards. Rather than just look at the registration and do the according test.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
kornball426 said:
I guess... Or maybe I just figured that no one gives a crap about the casting numbers, especially some dude who gets paid flat rate and wants to get things done and in and out of his shop as fast as possible so that he can make more money instead of wasting time looking at block casting numbers. Or through books and the internet trying to find out what year the block was cast so that he can hook you up with an emissions exemption on a car that legally has to meet emissions standards. Rather than just look at the registration and do the according test.

Yea but the only thing is my car came with a V6. Plus we don't have Emission's test here they just do a visual.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
kornball426 said:
As if even 1 in 100 inspection guys can tell a 75 small block from any other year... Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they test everything based on whatever the registration says the vehicle is, not what engine the owner tells them it has.

Emissions testing goes by the VIN, nothing else. I posted the link to the VA inspection laws (NOT the emissions laws) back on the first page of this thread. The fact that a particular person got lucky with getting something past a stupid inspector does not change the published laws.

Just to recap (since this thread is back from the dead), in Virginia, the annual SAFETY inspection is supposed to include a visual check that a converter is in place if the car came with one from the factory. This has nothing to do with whether or not the car is exempt from EMISSIONS testing, this is part of the SAFETY inspection. If a particular person is able to get a car past an inspector who is not aware of the law, good for you. There's a good possibility that this idiot inspector will not have a license next time. This law applies to ALL of VA, whether or not your jurisdiction is subject to emissions testing. This is why the State Police can ticket you for no converter if they pull you over. The link I provided is from the VA State Police.

As always, this is a state-by-state issue, so check your state's laws if you don't live in VA. All states have them on line now.

As for the comment that the emissions requirements go with the engine, not the car, that's pure BS. If that were true, you would be able to install a 1970 454 in a 2010 car. You can't. Right or wrong, the VIN of the vehicle determines the emissions requirements.

johnny79

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2009
DC
Joe, I agree with you about the letter o' the law, but I'm yet to hear a story about someone failing safety for not having a CAT. I have my own experience and stories from others that go along with it. Not to mention the mechanics who installed my custom exhaust. Seems no one cares. I suppose all it takes is for the state to start cracking down and that all changes, but til then... no worries...

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
Here in NJ, I took my Cutlass to one of the State inspection stations. It had a Chevy 350 at the time, it had headers, and all emissions equipment removed except for the cats. They did look under the hood, but I didn't fail a visual inspection, I failed 2 of the 3 emissions requirements and they said the cowl hood has close to failing (over 2 inches high fails in NJ).

I later passed elsewhere after some tinkering.

We also have roadside spot checks at random here in NJ, and sometimes they know a little more as to what to look out for. I got stopped at one once (at the time I didn't have cats). I told the Police Officer checking our registrations that I didn't, he was cool about it, and let me go with a ticket for obstructed view or something. That could have been a huge fine.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
Well you can only replace an engine in your car if it's newer not older, I have a good inspection sticker and no emissions. I said I'm not sure how it goes everywhere else but only mearly stated what has happened to me not the world... not all of va has emissions test like I said it's just a visual here. Also my hood scoop is 2 and 3/4 tall which... is illegal there was a VA state something rather though checking to make sure everything was going smoothely at the inspection offices he told me to change it and I'd pass (of course I didn't after he left) but he knew everything else about my car.. and Greg still has his inspection license. But again it's only stuff that has happened to me and not others..

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
Heres what I've always been told related to emissions, and I believe this is federal so it overrides state law.

If a car came with X emissions equipment stock it must retain them. And the year make model goes by the chassis not the motor. So technically if you stick a big block in your car your suppose to retrofit AIR to it. So in the same theory since your car came with a cat it must retain one. Which really isnt a big deal because running true duals with 2 high flow cats theres really no restriction.

The only leg that anyone really has to stand on for not running a cat is if you have a boosted car thats getting a seriously rich A/F that would foul a cat. And even then theres new kinds of substrates theyve put into HiPo cats that dont foul from fuel.

So by the federal book your car should have EGR, AIR, Cat/Cats, and EVAP. Now generally no one checks for AIR because if you put a more modern cat in the car theres no reason for it. The AIR was only there to aid with old style early technology cats.

Now I know that if say you swap an LSX into your car its perfectly legal if you retain the emissions components the motor came with.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
MR442 said:
Course the cats being fake or empty is a different thing .

That's what I would do if I had to worry about cats. I'm sure glad that's not an issue up here.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
stomis said:
Heres what I've always been told related to emissions, and I believe this is federal so it overrides state law.

What you've been "told" is irrelevant. READ the written laws on the books in your state. You are correct that under federal law it is illegal to remove or tamper with emissions equipment, but to date the feds have only gone after commercial shops, not private parties. State law is what is enforced by local and state police. The rule of thumb that is is acceptable to swap a cleaner engine in place of a dirtier one is USUALLY true, but may not be in all states. Ironically, Calif, was the first to allow this and had a documented procedure for getting such a swap inspected. Other states have followed, but not all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor