Changing from Column to Floor shift help

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
I found a donor Console/Floor sh*t steering column out of an identical year Cutlass. What else do I need? Can I just buy a B&M shifter? Is there anything I need? Do I just take out the old column, attach the new one at the steering box, bolt to the firewall and the two other bolts that hold it to the dash, plug in the wires, the transmission linkage on the firewall and go? Does a B&M shifter attach to the transmission and correctly tell the link to the column the car is in drive so I cant take out the key?

sbcCuttY

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
i got a z-gate B&M shifter in my garage its in brand new condition, if your interested in purchasing.

442Jayp

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2010
anthonychacon80 said:
I found a donor Console/Floor sh*t steering column out of an identical year Cutlass. What else do I need? Can I just buy a B&M shifter? Is there anything I need? Do I just take out the old column, attach the new one at the steering box, bolt to the firewall and the two other bolts that hold it to the dash, plug in the wires, the transmission linkage on the firewall and go? Does a B&M shifter attach to the transmission and correctly tell the link to the column the car is in drive so I cant take out the key?
:bump: i have the same question..

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Hopefully this will answer a few questions.
1) You can use a B&M shifter with the stock console but will need to do some mods to either the shifter or console cover since the Cutlass shifter sits just off to the pass side but an aftermarket shifter will fit.
2) Swapping the collumns is pretty much as described but you don't have to take it apart at the steering box, remove the large nut near the firewall and it will seperate from the shaft there. Also unhook your transmission linkage at the collumn by pulling the cotter pin. I use a needle nose vice grips for this, works great.
3) If you use the factory linkage up to the collumn it will work properly with the key. If you don't have the two factory brackets that connect on the transmission I would find a set it will make install easier. I have modifed an F body Camaro bracket to work but it needed to be cut and rewelded to work.

LIMITED 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
if the donors was in tact just grab the linkage off its transmission and shifter if u can

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor