Changing to quadrajet

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
My preference is to look for a 77 or 78 car Quadrajet as they have the best features and still have the exposed mixture screws. The only modification you will want to make is to convert it to an electric choke as the 79 and earlies cars still used a hot air choke.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

eugrides

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2013
where does the wire or wires connect from the 02 sensor to what The wire may still be there

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
O2 sensor goes to the computer. It sniffs what is coming out the exhaust and the computer adjusts the carburetor air/fuel ratio accordingly. If that is bad or missing the computer is flying blind. Default get-home setting is pig-rich. Catalytic converter is downstream to burn up anything the motor doesn't.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Without EGR you will need less timing. EGR dilutes the air/fuel mixture. Charcoal canister stores gas fumes- keep it.

the egr lowers the temperature in the combustion chamber allowing you to advance the timing, like you said without it the timing needs to be pulled back

eugrides

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2013
I think I'll try installing an o2 sensor in the exhaust past the header collector now that I understand how it works . I'll try a 3 wire since it's a bit downstream switched pos ,neg and sensor wire to computer maybe purple wire I'll have to get a diagram to locate that sensor wire Without any signal now explains why it's running rich. Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor