Charcoal Fuel vapor Storage Canister

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty1987

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2017
Does anyone know where i can purchase a new one??

Or

When do you know if they go bad? Looked at the bottom of the canister and the filter is coming off in pieces, real bad yellow color as well..

Please let me know.. thanks guys

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You can rebuilt them, but it's kind of a pain in the *ss and not really worth the trouble. They don't make the two nipple model anymore. Either that or you'll have to find one from a low mileage car.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
About any parts store should be able to get you a compatible replacement. It may not be concourse correct but should keep the gas fumes down.

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
I refilled mine. I went on Rock Auto and bought the round filters that you use for a few dollars. The charcoal you can find at stores like walmart in the pet section. A container cost me around $5 dollars when I bought it. I just cut a very small section off the bottom, drained out the old charcoal, used some compressed air to make sure the inside was dry and clean, put in new charcoal and new filter. Works perfectly. I had the gas smell before the fix and it was gone after my refill.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
somebody should document this and make it a sticky.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Cutty1987

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2017
I didnt smell gas, ever.. at least not that i can remember.. car only has 92, *** original miles.. so does that mean my container is still good?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Obsolete? No. New cars still use them.
They have zero impact on performance aside from the few ounces that they add to the total weight of a 2 ton car. I've actually added them to older cars that didn't have them from the factory to help keep the fumes down when parked in a hot garage.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
I didnt smell gas, ever.. at least not that i can remember.. car only has 92, *** original miles.. so does that mean my container is still good?

Usually they are ruined (the gas smell) if the charcoal gets saturated with gas. Mine was ok until about 105,000 miles. When I dumped out the old charcoal it felt damp and of course had the gasoline odor. My problem started because I had the car sitting most of the time for a few years, the gas in the tank was going bad, and all the solvents like seafoam and fresh gas I added to the tank must had finally did in my canister. Plus the original filter at the bottom was just about gone which did not help in keeping the gas smell contained.

Once I restored it the canister is working fine. No gas smell. I thought I remembered a mechanic told me ages ago that if you have no gas smell under the hood, as far as the canister goes, it is working ok. Plus he told me to avoid overfilling the gas tank which can ruin these canisters because gas might get sucked in and soak the charcoal. I think that is what happened to mine when I was trying to get rid of the bad gasoline. Filled my gas tank and the added cleaners might have been too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor