Cheating The Reaper

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Thanks. I'm 99% decided on the 283. About 50/50 between the T5 and A833. If I get a late '80s Fbody T5 and combine it with the S-10 T5 I could have a much better gearing combination for the 3.73s in the Corvette rearend.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Motor mounts showed up in the mail today. Full length boxing plates are in transit and should be here Monday. X-rail kit ships next week and front suspension kit is about 3-4 weeks out.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I also vote for using the 283...great little power pack.
Keep up the good work. I'm sure you'll give it the love that it deserves.

I almost bought a '36 Ford truck when I was a young kid delivering parts for the local Ford dealer. All original, but needed lots of attention. It was a whopping $250.00. I had no place to store it, or work on it living in NYC.
I'd keep it as a traditional resto-rod. I like the look of it prior to the accident.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Pit said:
:shock:

Good job on the run!

Go for 283 and t5 combo.

Already love this car!
Thanks.

tc1959 said:
I kind of like the LT1 and the T-5 as a combo. with a 3:24 gear :idea:
That's very close to the combo in my dad's El Camino. LT1/T-5/3.08s. He seems really happy with it.

Longroof79 said:
I also vote for using the 283...great little power pack.
Keep up the good work. I'm sure you'll give it the love that it deserves.

I almost bought a '36 Ford truck when I was a young kid delivering parts for the local Ford dealer. All original, but needed lots of attention. It was a whopping $250.00. I had no place to store it, or work on it living in NYC.
I'd keep it as a traditional resto-rod. I like the look of it prior to the accident.
I'm almost completely decided on the 283 -- at least for now.
Totally agree with you on the resto-mod thing too. The traditional styling is pretty timeless. As much as I love the innovation that goes in to street rod builds, they rarely stand the test of time. The plan is to stay pretty stealthy with the suspension and drivetrain and wrap it in a look that doesn't need to be updated every 5 years. I don't ever plan to sell it so resale isn't my highest priority -- I'd just like to only have to paint it once. Do the interior once. Make sense?

And I apologize in advance for the lack of activity over the next couple weeks. Waiting on the mailman. Not a whole lot I can do without all the suspension brackets.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Since there's not much else to update I'll just post a couple pics of new items. The front suspension kit and X-rails are still not here but the Boxing plates and motor mounts showed up a couple weeks ago.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Since the chassis components haven't shown up yet I've been slacking on this project. A few weeks ago I mentioned that my 510 got broken into. At the time I was buying some valve cover -- the set I'm planning to use on my 283. I didn't think to snap a photo of them before I started but they were covered in a thick layer of gray spray paint. Luckily it was of poor quality and much of it came off after a couple trips through the parts washer at work. Then I bead blasted them. What I was left with was pretty disappointing. I'm 98% certain these were on an engine that had been on fire. I can't think of any other reason for these weird pits and separations. Some spots look almost melted. They aren't warped though.

Anyway, I sanded them for a couple hours and started filling the stuff that was too deep to sand out with this...

It's kind of an experiment. Once I'm happy with the finished product I'll send them with my buddy Nate to be powder coated. Honestly, I'm not sure they can be saved. We'll see. I'm maybe half way done at this point.

BTW, these were probably from an L82 Corvette. At least that's the way I deciphered the date code cast on the inside. This style was also used on the original LT-1s from the early '70s and the DZ302 in the 1st gen Z/28. GM Performance still sells them new but they cost about $250-$300. I've seen sets sell for $500-$1000 if they have the right date codes. Resto guys are crazy.

Reactions: 1 user

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Do you know if that Metal to Metal filler you're using will allow the powder coat to adhere properly? I'm looking for some filler that will accept powder coating so I can smooth out some rough parts I have.

Scott, ...

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor