Check engine code 1… 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Maybe I assumed here where I should not.
You do have a code scanner plugged in the Assembly Line Diagnostic Link (ALDL) port under the dash and the code 12 is with the Key On, Engine Off correct? Or is this code 12 flashing without a code scanner installed and the engine running?

And if you don't have a code scanner plugged in there, then check for a paperclip.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

1983MonteLS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2022
Are you checking codes? Or is it just doing this out of the blue? Is this car new to you?
No codes except for 1-2… cars been with me for 27 years but new to the carb swapping
And if you don't have a code scanner plugged in there, then check for a paperclip.
its flashing on the run position , right before the start. On another note, went out and started car again after sitting for 5-6 hours and seemed like it was struggling to get going, stalling out, a lot of rich smell smoke from exhaust. Once it got past that initial start within under a minute of running, it all seems fine. A bit rough running though. Could it be the electric choke malfunctioning or what I personally think, it’s flooding. What do you think of fuel pressure regulators? Mine goes between 8-10

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I’m guessing the new carb may be throwing different signals and readings to the ECM - perhaps relearning? I know their not the new smart cars, but do they relearn new computerized parts added?

No, they do not relearn new computer parts. If you install the wrong parts the ECM will throw a fit. Code 12 is ignition related, has nothing to do with thd carb.

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
Can anyone describe the 1 and 2 quick CEL code is, what are the symptoms and what are the fixes? Google has some really bad info on this, it amazes me.

I’ll post a video

Your video shows the 1-2 flashing after the engine has started. Not good, that is an current code. Here is a screenshot of a page from the Chilton online manual describing the code. Apparently the "no spark reference" code flashes normally during IGNITION ON but should stop once the engine is running. So you have no spark reference pulse going to the ECM.

83 MC wCarb.png

1983MonteLS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2022
Thanks all - that’s incorrect, the code comes on in the run position prior to starting the car - what I’m reading and gathering from others it’s ok as long as it’s not popping on when running - Now, how long will this do it / or do I need to reset it?

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
No codes except for 1-2… cars been with me for 27 years but new to the carb swapping

its flashing on the run position , right before the start. On another note, went out and started car again after sitting for 5-6 hours and seemed like it was struggling to get going, stalling out, a lot of rich smell smoke from exhaust. Once it got past that initial start within under a minute of running, it all seems fine. A bit rough running though. Could it be the electric choke malfunctioning or what I personally think, it’s flooding. What do you think of fuel pressure regulators? Mine goes between 8-10

Sorry, but you really have not answered 2 important questions here. 79 USA 1 and I have both asked if you have a code reader plugged in. And I'm still unsure as to if this is happening when the car is running.

If you do in fact have a code reader plugged in (or paperclip,) and this code ONLY comes on with the key on, and NOT when running, then this is nothing to worry about. Code 12 will always be there when the engine is off on any OBD1 vehicle ever made, unless the ecm is toast.

If it IS flashing this code when running, your ECM is not getting ignition signal, which could likely cause runability problems.

And if YOU DO NOT have a code reader or paperclip plugged in to the ALDL, then I have no idea what could cause that aside from a very coincidental short circuit.

8-10psi is a little high for a carb, even a little high for a mechanical pump to be putting out. Which leads me to believe that your gauge may be inaccurate, as I learned from your newest thread that you are running a mechanical pump.

My honest opinion is that your new carburetor is junk.

Last edited:

1983MonteLS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2022
Sorry, but you really have not answered any questions here. 79 USA 1 and I have both asked if you have a code reader plugged in. And I'm still unsure as to if this is happening when the car is running.

If you do in fact have a code reader plugged in (or paperclip,) and this code ONLY comes on with the key on, and NOT when running, then this is nothing to worry about.

If it IS flashing this code when running, your ECM is not getting ignition signal, which could likely cause runability problems.

And if YOU DO NOT have a code reader or paperclip plugged in to the ALDL, then I have no idea what could cause that aside from a very coincidental short circuit.

My honest opinion is that your new carburetor is junk, or you have too much fuel pressure. 8-10 is a little high for a carb, even a little high for a mechanical pump to be putting out.
Negative / it comes on when I turn the key to run position only, not running and turns offafter 3 times cycle flashes. I replaced. the old carb to as the other was flooding and it’s still giving me that flash, again, only when key on, not running. No paper clip or reader is in there, just going off on its own. Started when I put the Regal carb on. Is the reset for OBD1 disconnect battery for 10 mins on these cars?

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Negative / it comes on when I turn the key to run position only, not running and goes ofd after 3 times. I replaced the old carb to as the other was flooding and it’s still giving me that flash, again, only when key on, not running. No paper clip or reader is in there, just going off on its own. Started when I put the Regal carb on. Is the reset for OBD1 disconnect battery for 10 mins on these cars?

I would disconnect the battery for a while and see what happens, although I've never heard of an OBD1 giving a code without a reader. Installing a carburetor should have absolutely nothing to do with the ALDL or code reading. Is there anything else you've worked on during the same time? Specifically wiring or anything at all under the dash?

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Double post - Fix your carburetor problems first. Pay zero attention to this code 12 until the car runs better. Who knows, maybe it will go away on its own. There is absolutely no correlation between this, and the carburetor issues you're having.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor