Check this Elky out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I guess it's popular because it says " look at me! I can afford big wheels"- but you can't afford the ginormous SUV that they were intended for. As for horsepower, that thing must be very slow if he hasn't done anything to it. I mean, think of what that tire height does to the effective gear ratio and how much extra rotating mass it has to turn! The stresses on the axles and wheel bearings can't make for long component life.

P.S. , I had someone suggest big spinners for my G once, and while I wanted to smack them, I didn't because I don't hit women. If it were a guy however...

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
im 24 and i dont understand huge rims i wont go over a 15 unless to clear some big brakes.if im runing 20s they wont be chrome will be beadlocks with some 47 inch or taller irok tires

diggler68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 23, 2007
I know that guy, he's from Detroit, believe me, that car looked way worse last year, as a matter of fact, I have a pic of it.

EastvsWest115.jpg

EastvsWest116.jpg

diggler68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 23, 2007
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
I guess it's popular because it says " look at me! I can afford big wheels"- but you can't afford the ginormous SUV that they were intended for. As for horsepower, that thing must be very slow if he hasn't done anything to it. I mean, think of what that tire height does to the effective gear ratio and how much extra rotating mass it has to turn! The stresses on the axles and wheel bearings can't make for long component life.

P.S. , I had someone suggest big spinners for my G once, and while I wanted to smack them, I didn't because I don't hit women. If it were a guy however...

Actaully, you'd be suprised how much money is invested in Donks. There's about 20-25 thousand in that thing. Most guys from the hood can't just go out and spend that $50,000 at a a dealership, not unless you want IRS asking how you got the money. I'm from Detroit, seen it all, and unless you've lived it, you wouldn't understand it. Check my post in the photos section and see a $130,000 Monte SS.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
still looks like crap, drives like crap and performs like crap. wait why should i do this again? oh ya because everyone else is...got it. (actually no i don't)

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
i still hope it burns to the ground if i ever see it when im in my truck ill run it over lol.big rims do nothing but make the car look trashy they handle like crap when you jack a car up higher then a 4x4.most of them do it wrong dont change the rear end to a higher raito or change the speedo gear or use bigger brakes.your using brakes designed to stop a 15 inch rim not a 26 the weight and rotaing mass of a 26 you need 15 inch rotors and 6 piston cailpers to stop it.i dont understand it at all spend 4 grand on rims and tires 3 grand on a system in a 500 dollar car that smokes bad and the air dont work.why not fix the car up first insted of making it look like a clown car.theres a monte carlo aerocoupe here jacked up like that on huge rims takes everything i have not to put a bullet in the owner and the car.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
This is what really sucks, it seems like all the ugly lifted cars get the attention even though all of the knowledge is in places like here where everyone is more of a traditionalist. I guess their cars are just so ugly you have to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor