Chevy 350 or 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
custom442 said:
okay, I'm not telling you not to do it. But when 6 people who make a living doing this tell me the same thing, there might be something to that :idea:

im not saying they are right or wrong but i dont see a valid arguement to there point when the rebuild kits are the same using the same strength and quality of parts. And also sayin the th250 is outdated when they came into around the same time but I'm pretty sure they are very educated if they do it for living.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
kingcolbert83 said:
custom442 said:
okay, I'm not telling you not to do it. But when 6 people who make a living doing this tell me the same thing, there might be something to that :idea:

im not saying they are right or wrong but i dont see a valid arguement to there point when the rebuild kits are the same using the same strength and quality of parts. And also sayin the th250 is outdated when they came into around the same time but I'm pretty sure they are very educated if they do it for living.

I honestly don't know what the difference is between the two, but the rebuild kit is basically clutches and plates. Just because the two use the same kit(to me) doesn't mean that the hard parts like the sun and planetary gears and shafts are the same. Those could be weak points for the 250.

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
OK, done with this thread, watch for the 305 build.

Garrow215

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2009
Burke, NY
I came across an older 305 HO bottom end that had been set up for circle track racing and we put an Edelbrock Performer Air Gap intake, Holley 650 Double Pumper Carb, Headers, Mallory Distributor and a few other goodies on it. It already had a custom grind Howard 390 lift cam in it. Figured it was probably around 300 horse, it really livened up my Monte...plus I still get around 20mpg when I'm not romping on it everywhere...just my .02

Just a side note, can anyone recommend me a cam that I can get some serious lope out of? That's the only thing I really missed out on when we redid this motor. Thanks.

fullmontess

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2009
the 305 can be ullterd to produce more horsepower, but you have to know what your doing in order to do that. If machined right it can make power like a 350. however. If your gonna spend the money, get a 350! (my opinion) they are very easy to find and the parts come easy as well, ( depending how deep your pockets are) If its street power your after, go with a 4 bolt main roller motor. build a 383 the difference is amazing! youll just have to figure if you want a cruiser, street car, or street/strip car. Id say a good mild 355 is a great cruiser, and Im sure you know what it takes to make a radical motor.
what trans did your monte come with. If its a 2004r, I suggest keeping it!!

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
Hey, I started the build, see 305 LB9 Build thread.

Garrow215

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2009
Burke, NY
I think you're going be pleasantly surprised...at least I was. Most people don't believe that I've only got a "little 305" under the hood when they hear it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor