ok so i have the option to either buy
a chevy 350
or
an olds 350
not sure which one to go with
so my questions are
which is easier to get parts for?
most likely the chevy 350 cause there a dime a dozen these day
but how hard is it to get parts for the olds 350?
im going with a complete upgrade/rebuild on whichever engine i go with
also
which will be more powerful?
which is more reliable?

dont know which parts and everything im going to go with so just use the full block itself to speculate on
so i need some input
anyone to give me some input without turning this into a an olds vs. chevy arguement

For the price I would go chevy. They are like you said a dime a dozen and parts are cheap. But I think the olds is a beter engine even though its more costly. And if the car already has an old v8 you wont have much to change.

Well if money is no option go with the Olds. Great low end power, good torque, good engine all around. Aftermarket parts for an Olds 350 are just about as popular as aftermarket SBC parts anymore. On the other hand, there are a lot more add-on options for a Chevy 350.

well ive found an olds 350 engine for $350 its complete but im still gonna buy all new parts for it just cause id like it to have new stuff rather than the old worn out parts
so as far as the engine its self goes ive got that covered
i can get a decent olds 350 for about the same as a decent chevy 350 so either way
but my car currently has the 231 v6 in it right now so yea going for a little more power
also'
if i get the olds 350 which transmission should i go with
and visa versa with the chevy 350?

I am using the 350 turbo with mine its one with the bellhousing for both chevy and olds.

A TH350 is a good transmission, it will take a beating. If you have a little extra cash to throw around though, find yourself a beefed up TH200R4 and get a set of 3.73:1 gears for your rear end. You still have a nice hard launch and awesome acceleration, but you still have that overdrive wich makes highway driving nice. Not to mention you'll retain respectable gas mileage!

sounds pretty good to me
guess i shouldve mentioned this is my daily driver
of course during the engine/transmission swap and all that
ill have to find something else to drive
lol "dad can i borrow your truck my car is lacking an engine"
but anyways so as far as the TH 200-4r goes
That'll probably be my choice just because it is my daily driver
and as far as the engine think ill go with the olds 350
id like to keep it an oldsmobile car instead of mixing the chevy with olds stuff
oh and also im not going to beef the hell out of this engine
just going to build it up to be a good daily driver with some good power for those times everyone just seems to piss you off on the road
or those other times when you just wanna put you foot down and hear and feel your hard work in action
so everyone be expecting a 231 V6 to Olds 350 swap build thread coming shortly

Blazenlotus said:
I am using the 350 turbo with mine its one with the bellhousing for both chevy and olds.

I'm sorry, but aren't there 2 different bellhousing bolt patterns? Chevy and BOP?
And BOPs cannot bolt to chevys?

STL84, good call on the overdrive 200-4R

khan0165 said:
I'm sorry, but aren't there 2 different bellhousing bolt patterns? Chevy and BOP?
And BOPs cannot bolt to chevys?

STL84, good call on the overdrive 200-4R

True, but the 200-4R has a dual pattern, so it will work with either Chevy or BOP, some TH350s had this as well (I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor