chevy 350 or olds 350?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so are we in agreement that this setup sounds pretty decent
olds 350 engine (misc. parts for daily driver with power not big beefy racecar)
TH 200-4r trans
3.73 gears
im going for daily driver with some balls
not going for track times any time soon so what do you think

If you haven't checked it out yet, look at Robert Powers write up here:

http://www.robertpowersmotorsports.com/G-bodyV6-V8.html

You can also sift through a lot of Olds engine combos here:

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=16

Obvioulsy some are pretty hardcore but there are quite a few that would be great street engines.

I believe your biggest obstacle is that most of the aftermarket pistons are short on piston pin height which actually makes your compression lower. Double check everything so you can get an accurate compression ratio. Don't just guess because you'll more than likely be off.

What year is the Olds 350 your looking at? What heads does it have? Obviously a '68-'72 350 would be better seeing as how it has soild main webs and better heads. I belive the '73-'76 engines still have the soild webs but they have heads with larger combustion chambers, lowering the compression ratio. The '77-'80 350's have windowed main webs, which aren't the best for longevity with lots of HP (therotically) but would be fine for a daily driver.

I'm sure someone else can chime in on the SBO stuff as I'm not too up to speed on everything. I've dealt mostly with BBO stuff.
Which, by the way, a 455 would drop right in as well. 😉

i do believe its a 73 350 not sure what heads are on it
and hopefully going to pick it up in a week or 2
as long as my attorney can bail my *ss out of some trouble i got into couple days ago
FYI dont sell alcohol to minors
especially if its an undercover girl working for the cops
lol dumbass move on my part but sh*t happens

It sounds like a good combo make sure you get the v-8 motor mounts that are on the frame of the car you are getting the motor from because the v-6 mounts sit up higher. I just did the swap in my 83 and I had to go to the junk yard to get them because Oriely said they couldnt order them.

I can second the existance of unibell 200-4rs and th350s ,,,, the th350 that came out of the 81 was dual pattern and every 200-4r I've seen was too. Kinda wished I hung onto that th350 now. I was worried about transporting it and storing ... not really thinking I could get $$$$ out of it (or use it in another car down the line)

khan0165 said:
Blazenlotus said:
I am using the 350 turbo with mine its one with the bellhousing for both chevy and olds.

I'm sorry, but aren't there 2 different bellhousing bolt patterns? Chevy and BOP?
And BOPs cannot bolt to chevys?

STL84, good call on the overdrive 200-4R

Scroll to the botom of the page it will tell you there is a 350 with a unicase just for future refrence.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_ima ... _large.jpg

I would have to suggest the chevy, much more parts available and generally cheaper to rebuild (my opinion).

Blazenlotus said:
khan0165 said:
Blazenlotus said:
I am using the 350 turbo with mine its one with the bellhousing for both chevy and olds.

I'm sorry, but aren't there 2 different bellhousing bolt patterns? Chevy and BOP?
And BOPs cannot bolt to chevys?

STL84, good call on the overdrive 200-4R

Scroll to the botom of the page it will tell you there is a 350 with a unicase just for future refrence.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_ima ... _large.jpg

wow, had no idea!

DrRansom442 said:
the th350 that came out of the 81 was dual pattern and every 200-4r I've seen was too.

MOST 200-4Rs were unisex, but I have seen an early one that was BOP-only. I have also heard rumors of Chevy-only 200-4Rs but have never seen one.

As for motor mounts, you need the Olds frame mounts for a 1978-1988 A/G body or a 1977-1990 B/C body. They are the same part. Note that these brackets are slightly different for RH/LH, so be sure to put them on the correct sides. Use Anchor P/N 2328 rubber motor mounts with these frame brackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor