chevy crate engine options/opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

78monteclassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2012
I'm looking at getting a crate engine for my Monte this Christmas and I want your opinions, right now I have some 305 from a truck and that combined with the stock rear end makes this car feel like a slug. First thing on my list is a new engine, for under 2,000 or right around there and I'll be satisfied with anywhere from 250hp to 400hp, the latter being better of course. Later on I would like to go supercharger...but for now what are your guy's opinions on what I should get and where from?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
How is Santa going to get a 350 crate down the chimney? A basic GM crate is over 2,000 and it doesn't come complete ready to run. Unless your stuck on a GM crate there are plenty of SBC built engines on kijiji that give you more for the money.

78monteclassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2012
pontiacgp said:
How is Santa going to get a 350 crate down the chimney? A basic GM crate is over 2,000 and it doesn't come complete ready to run. Unless your stuck on a GM crate there are plenty of SBC built engines on kijiji that give you more for the money.

My wife is Santa this year lol, I saw one on jegs I think for 1499, what's kijiji? Never heard of it.I just want a new engine with more balls lol, the original play was to find a bare block and rebuild it from the ground up, but with a wife and a newborn that's impossible right now. What other options do I have besides a gm crate? I've rebuilt a vortec(stock) on my truck I sold but this is my first time buying a new engine :)

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Summit or Jegs have target master engines with a warranty 3 years or 36,000 miles ideal for a daily driver..if you buy one from a machine shop they only offer a 12 month or 12,000 miles. some do offer 24 month or 24,000 but you will pay more. If you plan on supercharging later, you should have the correct pistons installed before hand..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
78monteclassic said:
pontiacgp said:

My wife is Santa this year lol, I saw one on jegs I think for 1499, what's kijiji? Never heard of it.I just want a new engine with more balls lol, the original play was to find a bare block and rebuild it from the ground up, but with a wife and a newborn that's impossible right now. What other options do I have besides a gm crate? I've rebuilt a vortec(stock) on my truck I sold but this is my first time buying a new engine :)

kijiji is a local ebay, I thought everyone had it in their area....I wouldn't build an engine from the ground up unless you had particular engine you wanted. By the time you get the machine work done and get the parts it's easy to get up to the $6 to 7,000 range, or higher. I have about $2,000 in my engine and it's a 355 with votec heads and a ZZ4 roller cam. The lower end was a fresh rebuild when I bought it and I switched out the heads for a set of $300 vortecs, air gap intake and valve covers for $200 and the cam set up cost me $500

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
This would be a pretty nice package for the money:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/BluePrint ... 60347.html
You're going to have a pretty tough time finding a crate engine for under $2K that isn't just a stock replacement longblock. Even if you could come up with a complete Vortec core and took it to a machine shop for a standard rebuild, add a better cam, intake, etc, etc, you'd probably be over $3000.
Is there any emissions testing or inspections to deal with in your area? Do you have any good parts for the new engine? Are you sure you're going to get that supercharger? Your new engine should be built/bought with that in mind.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
78monteclassic said:
My wife is Santa this year lol,

we are all talking dollars and cents but you can't put a price you have to pay for this gift. You'll probably have to be a perfect husband for about 7 more weeks, that's a feat not many of us could accomplish.. :mrgreen:

78monteclassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2012
DRIVEN said:
This would be a pretty nice package for the money:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/BluePrint ... 60347.html
You're going to have a pretty tough time finding a crate engine for under $2K that isn't just a stock replacement longblock. Even if you could come up with a complete Vortec core and took it to a machine shop for a standard rebuild, add a better cam, intake, etc, etc, you'd probably be over $3000.
Is there any emissions testing or inspections to deal with in your area? Do you have any good parts for the new engine? Are you sure you're going to get that supercharger? Your new engine should be built/bought with that in mind.

The vortec 350 i rebuilt in my truck kept me happy for awhile, and thats a 6,000lb truck i believe! so about 250hp,330tq would be a good starting point for now,no emissions out here and barely a safety inspection if you wanna call it that lol so no worries, all i have right now are the carb thats on the 305 and a pair of headers for a 350, although a supercharger sounds like a blast, i still have to take care of the transmission, driveshaft, rear end...etc, so a nice street performer with a little power on tap sounds good :)

78monteclassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2012
pontiacgp said:
78monteclassic said:
My wife is Santa this year lol,

we are all talking dollars and cents but you can't put a price you have to pay for this gift. You'll probably have to be a perfect husband for about 7 more weeks, that's a feat not many of us could accomplish.. :mrgreen:

LOL! More like 7 more weeks and then some after i get it lol, but for us for christmas, she's getting a new ring, and im getting my motor :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor