Chrome Powdercoating ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Ever since I got the Monte painted and got new chrome bumper strips and all new emblems...I see that my lower door, fender and rear 1/4 panel chrome moldings need some serious help:( I have thought about just biting the bullet and getting them re-chromed, but that has a heavy price tag.....I was thinking why not have them chrome powder coated??? Anyone have any experience with this??? Pics are greatly appreciated!!

zuma83

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
chicago
why don't you polish them up! was. just thinking about the same thing . checked out youtube and found out its not to hard to polish them up at home

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
My experience with any chrome powder coating is that it will never look like true chrome. If you leave the chrome powder uncoated, it looks really awesome for about 10 minutes but the minute you start to touch it, everything starts to dull.

If you put a clear powder coat over top of the chrome powder (which is recomended) it dulls the finish and ends up looking like a dull gray.

I coated my intake and left it bare to see how well it would hold up. Found out that gasoline eats the finish instantly when it touches it. It doesn't really damage the powder coat itself, it just eats the shiny layer.

In my opinion, you have 3 options. 1). Bite the bullet and pay to have them chromed/polished, 2) paint them same color as the car or 3) just remove them completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor