Classic car dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Well... as most of you guys know I've been attempting to do a LS1 swap on my 85 GP... :? I haven't been really putting time or money into it lately... Here is my dilemma, First i would love to complete my GP but all these emissions laws are jacked up around here! I have to adapt all of the 99 Pontiac Trans Am emissions components into my GP! Which means i can't to a basic stand alone harness for my swap....I have to incorporate the Evap system, cats, o2 sensors, 4l65e auto trans since the engine was originally equipped with a auto, smog air pump, EGR, etc etc.... :roll: I've installed my GN 8.5 rear, Aluminum core support, Hotchkis rear coils and rear control arms, repaired floor boards, installed a non a/c heater box, rebuilt the front suspension. The interior is stripped out as of now for the heater box install, I was planning to dynamat the floorboards, order a carpet, get the seats redone, unless i found a GP center console... And get everything redone. :shock: NOW everything was going to plan if and when $$ comes through till i was talking to a friend who is stuck between a rock and a hard place offered me his 68 Camaro!, NOW it's ROUGH and needs alot of work BUT it's calling my name!! Now here is the scoop on it, it needs both quarter panels after somebody else tried to replace them... Crappy work! Front fenders are original but need some work, interior is shot! etc etc... Now here is my ?? I know it's not a going to be easy or cheap!! It was originally a 6 cylinder base model Camaro and was upgraded with a SBC 350 which sounds mean! , has a 8.5 posi rear, Auto trans as of now but it was originally equipped with a manual trans which my buddy says he has a 5spd for it. He has most everything to get it back together along with Global west springs, front end boy parts some panels.. So i was wondering what you guys would do?? It does need Bodywork, the quarters scare me! and it's going to basically a ground up! Now for the price we haven't agreed to one BUT he has a few other cars he wants help to get done so he could fix and flip and we would basically work together and get it done. He has most of the tools and i have the space and garage. NOW what would you guys do? I am thinking of just putting my GP on the backburner for a grip and getting this one done.. Part of me tells me to finish my GP but a old school Camaro is t*ts!! :lol: Here are a few pics of it:
20120916_120419.jpg

20120916_120601.jpg

20120916_120518.jpg

20120916_120502.jpg

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
Go with the Camaro!!! Seems like a no brainer to me. :mrgreen:

What I wouldn't do to find a 69 Pontiac Tempest Custom S convertible again!

dragonmaster093

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2011
i would go with the camaro also because you do the same work to the gp the value just isnt there but a camaro even a modified has value and will increase almost daily and btw ive seen camaros much worse brought back from the dead.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
The '68 Camaro is awesome :!: But keep in mind, that 6 cylinder base model VIN has very little value. To make that car worth it, you would have to do a YENKO or COPO clone.

I guess my deciding factor would be what you have to pay for the Camaro up front :idea:

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Camaro's are like bellybuttons,everybody's got one.Not too many people have an '85 GP.
Just something to think about...
Guy

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Don't walk, RUN away from the Camaro!

Why would you take on a project that needs even more work than your GP project?
Fixing other peoples botched repairs can snowball fast... Especially with how bad those things rot...

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
So if I understand your post correctly, you will be receiving the Camaro as payment for helping your buddy finish up the other cars? Or are you helping and paying some cash on top? Either way, I would suggest you two sit down and write up a contract that specifically details what will be covered on the labor end. It might seem awkward but it just gets everyone on the same page so there is no chance of a misunderstanding in the end. It would suck to be out a friendship and a car after it's all done and could even get legally complicated.
My opinion is that you should get the Camaro but leave it alone until the GP is done. It's hard enough to focus on one project, let alone two at once. If your emissions laws are so ridiculous maybe it makes more sense to forgo the LS swap in the GP and just keep it closer to stock under the hood. Maybe put the LS in the Camaro later. Once the GP is done you can focus all your resources on the Camaro. I don't completely agree with RITTER that a base model 6cyl car has "very little value" but they certainly don't bring Z/28 money. Just be aware that when a car is that rough to start with, you will likely spend more than it'll be worth in the end unless it has a valuable VIN/build sheet. The car looks like it need a TON of work so I wouldn't give much for it just because it's a Camaro. The good thing about it is that you wouldn't feel bad about deviating from stock and hurting the investment value of the car. Build it any way you like. A Yenko or COPO clone would be cool. I always thought a TransAm series inspired car would be fun. Fake race cars don't need expensive interiors or flawless paint.
_BLK8700.jpg

1967_Sunoco_Camaro_Z28.jpg

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
I say finish the gp 1st. Finish what ya started, could always work on the Camaro at a later date. On the flip side, I know a guy that's got a complete gp console if they were willing to pay a good price. :wink:

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
From someone who has been working on a 67 Firebird for the past 5 years, I can tell you that it is true that the time it takes to bring something like that back to life will outweigh the cost of one in better shape over the long-run. Basically, it's a labor of love. The good thing is, it will most likely be worth much more in the end than the GP, at least for the near future. Bad thing is, you'll probably have more into it than it will be worth, lol

Me, I'd probably go for it, but I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with me for taking on such a project. I've replaced both quarters, roof, some floor sections, trunk floor, and misc. in between sheet metal to get mine where it is today (still in my garage, lol).

The other thing you need to make sure of is the cut-off year for emissions in your state. In Nevada, it's 67 and earlier; although they have recently added a classic/hot rod classification to allow minimal registration/smog standards for low-useage classics.

If you do decide to go for it, research parts pricing and make a list, then double that. Also, check out some of the forums to see sheet metal replacement. The pro touring forums have quite a bit of useful info on it. My build thread (on lat-g and pro-touring) also has a bunch of in progress pics if you're interested.

Blake B

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2011
KS
i know how it can be once you lose motivation on your car.. i'm in the same spot, i need to fix a few nagging issues (not a whole lot of work, but its just a pain) sometimes you need something to really light the passion back up. working on my dads or friends car will usually motivate me.

i think taking on this big of a project will eventually burn you out then you'll have two cars that you don't have immediate passion for, and your pockets will be a bunch lighter.

i say help him with the car if its an option, just to get the motivation back. but don't take it on as your own. finish what you've started, then find another.

my 0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor