classic car insurance coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastNYsix

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2017
Is their any insurance out there that will cover what my car is actually worth to replace it in the event of a total loss? I checked the nada on my car its not worth much more than my deductible. My insurance agent said I either need receipts to show why its worth more and/ or get an appraisal. I know we can't get back every cent, but at least a fair amount that I could actually get a similar car in similar condition if I ever total it. Does the insurance company take into consideration what a similar car is going for on the open market? Does anyone have experience with going through an insurance claim on a classic car?

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I cant find one to cover mine because I daily drive it and don't store it in a garage like a trophy.

-Gonz

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Most companies prefer that you garage your pride and joy. A friend of mine recently wrecked his BMW 540 and he has his insurance with Haggerty. They paid up what the agreed amount which was something like $15K. I have had my insurance with Condon & Skelly for like 30 yrs. Although I've never had to file a claim, another friend of mine (up north) lost one of his vehicles as a result of Hurricane Sandy. They covered his loss with no problem.
I think most classic special interest companies frown upon a car being used as a daily driver. According to my friend with the BMW, Haggerty actually expects you to drive your car frequently...so he claims.

Last edited:

fastNYsix

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2017
My insurance agent did say that they don't necessarily use nada value exclusively. They do some research to get you a fair price. I have state farm, there might be a better option out there idk.

fastNYsix

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2017
Most companies prefer that you garage your pride and joy. A friend of mine recently wrecked his BMW 540 and he has his insurance with Haggerty. They paid up what the agreed amount which was something like $15K. I have had my insurance with Condon & Skelly for like 30 yrs. Although I've never had to file a claim, another friend of mine (up north) lost one of his vehicles as a result of Hurricane Sandy. They covered his loss with no problem.
That's how I thought it would work. The insurance company and I agree on a value, but my insurance agent said otherwise.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Condon and Skelly actually quoted me.. I just might go ahead and switch. I had never heard of them.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand nevermind... they don't insure daily drivers either.

Thanks!

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Make sure it's something along the lines of covering a total loss as "stated/agreed value" without any disclaimer verbiage such as "up to" stated/agreed/whatever value and the like or anything that gives the insurance company wiggle room to get out of paying the value you're paying for. State Farm isn't the best place for covering classic cars. They do have a program, but it's more expensive than the other guys.

I have Grundy for the older cars and it's not too bad. If I have a total covered loss, they pay me agreed value. Simple as that. You still can't be a daily and it needs to be in a locked garage.

And make sure you can abide by the terms. Some places are super strict, others aren't quite so stringent.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Condon and Skelly actually quoted me.. I just might go ahead and switch. I had never heard of them.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand nevermind... they don't insure daily drivers either.

Thanks!
I know it sucks, but like any typical insurance company they're not looking to payout any time soon if they can avoid it.. I hate insurance companies, but you gotta look at it in their point of view. The less liability the better. Same sh*t with homeowners insurance.
I kinda figured Condon & Skelly would turn you down as a daily driver. As for Haggerty, I don't know how he was able to get a policy with a daily driver. Unless of course, he handed them a line of bullshit. And his car wasn't even garage kept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor