Classic car insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
So I need to start looking into insurance for the '87. Will probably go with Hagerty through my current Nationwide agent but was curious for those of you who have bought this type of insurance, how did you go about determining the agreed upon value?
Is it just a simple matter of figuring up what everything costs (engine, driveline, paint, bodywork, etc) in the event that you have a total loss? Essentially what it would cost to replace the car as-is?

Have you had to provide receipts and proof of what has been done? I figure they would at least send someone out for an appraisal?

I really need to get something on the car soon since it's so close to completion.

Thanks,

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Andrew & all; "Receipts", that's how I found the total of the last 34+ years. Make sure you sit down before you get down to the bottom line. I started with Ford Walker Heacock (check spelling) & we took a compromise of the receipts and a appraisal (I had 2). This was back in 1997 and I've spent more since then & they have offered more insurance coverage. They have been sold and purchased by American Modern, have good rates and great service. I have had one claim (windshield) & they went above & beyond. If you need some entertainment check out my 9C1 for sale post. It may not be a good thing to know how much you have spent on your baby. Bob Jr.

james@pst

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 31, 2012
Montville NJ
I currently have 4 of my Antique cars with JC Taylor. I have been very pleased with them. They offer stock and modified policy, last time I checked you paid pay the premium up to 30k(replacement value) with no appraisal. If you wanted a higher replacement value than that you need to have the car appraised. The other thing that I like is that they offer a restoration in progress policy to as I have used that on some of my cars as I was in the process of re-doing them.

Thanks
James

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
We have 5 cars on classic insurance. 4 with hagerty and one with Grundy, My dad's 60 has been on Grundy since the 80's, in the 90's they weren't accepting modified cars so from then on we switched to hagerty. They both have great customer service and we have had a few little in the garage type claims over the years. Personally I have spoken with hagerty and I like them. For agreed value they use a collector car book value or you can have it appraised/total your receipts.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Hagerty here for 2, soon to be 3, vehicles. They save you the appraisal costs by keeping a database of "like models" and then work on the agreed value based on modifications or other justifications.

Their terms of use are very fair for a weekend toy used through the Summer.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
I've been using American National for many years now for all my vehicles. The GN is on their CHROME collector car policy and the Cutlass has a specialty policy since the currently deteriorated original paint doesn't meet CHROME standards. My GS has an 'under construction' policy that recognizes that it is not currently on the road. The wagon and T-Bird have regular, daily driver liability insurance. Rates are reasonable, policies include AAA-like roadside assistance and their cashback program is a nice reward for remaining claim-free.

Oh, and run as fast as you can from Nationwide. Biggest shysters in the business.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Best bet is to get it appraised but get it appraised by someone who likes older cars. I got mine done at a Ford dealership where a high ranking buddy of mine worked at so it was as easy as saying 'I want my car valued at X and I just need you to confirm it'. Just don't go to some idiot who's going to look up the blue book value and tell you your car's worth 3k max even though you have proof showing you just spend double that on the engine alone. This is what your typical dealership appraisal will get you.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Just signed up with Hagerty through my Nationwide agent. Wasn't "cheap" but then wasn't really anymore than my daily driver truck and I have a $35K agreed value.

I've never had a problem with Nationwide. Been with my local Nationwide agent since I first started driving 20 years ago. My father has been with the same agent since he started driving 50+ years ago.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
Long story short, I never had a problem with Nationwide either. They were always happy to cash my premiums; multi-car and home. Claim free for many years. Then, some the vermin swiped and stripped my GN which was insured with an stated value ($13,500) policy, suddenly I was just a pest to be swatted away. First, an 'investigator' came out and basically accused me of staging the theft. The adjuster started stonewalling and low-balling like it was some sort of game. My GN was very clean with a super slick paint job and a wall full of local show awards.

I provided numerous references that proved otherwise to which they responded with an evaluation of my claim by their 'third-party' appraisal service; Stated Value Automobile Appraisals, Fort Worth, TX. Those buffoons 'concluded' my GN was worth $2,500 which played right into the adjuster's sleazy hands. I countered by getting the president of the Buick GSCA Club involved as he's also an NADA classic car appraiser. Nationwide and their cronies basically frustrated and ran him off. I then got another appraiser involved and after six months of back and forth we came to an agreement in the $10k ballpark.

Meanwhile, I wasn't going to be treated like sh*t and remain a paying customer so I took my business elsewhere. Don't you know that Nationwide then sent me a $211 bill which amounted to a short-rate penalty for dropping them before the renewal came up. They said I had to pay the difference between the 'discounted' premiums I had and what it would have cost to carry the policy less than six months. I had to fight that one all the way to collections.

Finally, once we agreed on the settlement, I asked them how much I could buy the GN's remains back for. I've often heard of folks getting their vehicles back for a song. So you know, my GN was mega-stripped. Basically, all that was left was the frame, front suspension, the bare body shell and some dingy T-Type wheels with a 7.5" rear to keep it rolling for disposal. Not that i could have done much with that, i was more curious what they would say after what transpired. They said I could take the remains if they knocked $1000 off my settlement.   :wtf:

At the time their Website boasted that they were the largest insurance and financial service company in the world with more than $157 billion in statutory assets yet they did absolutely everything possible to squirm out of a sub $15k settlement to a good, paying customer. Oh, and I forgot to mention that through this entire ordeal, my agent was as worthless as a screen door on a submarine. Not interested in helping me at all. So, they can go to Hell!

Lessons learned: Don't trust a Stated Value policy because the insurance company can depreciate as they see fit. Get an Agreed Value policy. Don't trust Nationwide. And lastly, don't trust a Nationwide Stated Value policy most of all! 

Guess that wasn't too short after all but it covers a lot of screwing. :x It also chapped my *ss that the same year this was going on, they announced that they were replacing Busch as a NASCAR sponsor so the Busch Grand National series became the Nationwide series...How, F'ing ironic.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
i was getting ridiculous regular car insurance quotes, sure my driving record is a little rough but i was getting quotes between $250-300 a freakin month... then my wifes cousin gave me the number to her insurance guy at ALLSTATE... $181 for SIX MONTHS... a little over $30 a month... granted thats limited liability coverage, but i am poor, having a 3yr old girl eats a hole in your pocket... I AM JUST HAPPY TO HAVE INSURANCE AGAIN... AND NOW I LEAVE YOU WITH A PIC OF MY "THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM"

Attachments

• IMG_361006983159218.jpeg
    IMG_361006983159218.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 472
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor