Clearcoat feels rough few months AFTER new paint job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

84hurst

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2008
Lansing
Well im calling the body shop tomorrow morning but was lookin for some quick imput, So as time goes on the body is starting to feel slightly rough when you run your hand across it, mostly on the top surfaces of the car. Even after i've waxed it, WTF? Now from the few people i've talked to its possible the clearcoat has shrunk and needs a light wet sanding/wheeling? Its crazy cause when i rolled it out of the body shop it was PERFECT! By looking at it you'd never tell anything's wrong. Anybody ran across this? is this common on a repaint?, btw its a reputable shop and the owner is a good friend of my cousins, so it was no shade tree job 8)

Shibbs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 2, 2010
Have you tried a claybar yet? Could be buildup on the clearcoat is all. I've never heard of it shrinking before.

84hurst

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2008
Lansing
Shibbs said:
Have you tried a claybar yet? Could be buildup on the clearcoat is all. I've never heard of it shrinking before.
Not yet, the bodyshop told me not to wax it for at least a month so i waited and kept it in the garage then waxed it. Its weird, seems as time goes on more "rough" areas can be felt, i agree it sounds like something simple, cause by just looking at it the car looks GREAT! and i've got face to face with it and see no issues.

84hurst

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2008
Lansing
Thats good to know, at least i've been hearing the same thing, hopefully that will do the trick!

Jim F

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2010
You could have a shrinkage problem cropping up. Depending on the primers, sealers and surfacers used, if they are not applied properly, left long enough between coats or various other bug-a-boos, the lower layers can shrink back. Its a common problem, especially in high production shops where things get "hammered through" in a hurry to keep things rolling.
I had a issue with gassing off after my paint job. The trim on the rear of the hood and tailgate got installed too soon, and after sitting for 3 months, that gases could not get out and the paint wrinkled out from under the trim. The body shop, if reputable, should be able to tell you honestly what happened. If you cant see any flaws under the clear, a simple wet sand and buff job should correct the issue for you.
Good luck
Jim

84hurst

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2008
Lansing
Jim F said:
You could have a shrinkage problem cropping up. Depending on the primers, sealers and surfacers used, if they are not applied properly, left long enough between coats or various other bug-a-boos, the lower layers can shrink back. Its a common problem, especially in high production shops where things get "hammered through" in a hurry to keep things rolling.
I had a issue with gassing off after my paint job. The trim on the rear of the hood and tailgate got installed too soon, and after sitting for 3 months, that gases could not get out and the paint wrinkled out from under the trim. The body shop, if reputable, should be able to tell you honestly what happened. If you cant see any flaws under the clear, a simple wet sand and buff job should correct the issue for you.
Good luck
Jim
Cool thanks Jim, good to know it should be an easy fix!

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
yea a claybar and foaming class cleaner is what our body shop uses, but on anything less than six months old just soapy water with the claybar. thats what i would try first, if that doesnt work it probably needs to be scuffed with a really fine paper, like 2500 or 3000 and then buff it out. i would use the no 2 compound if its not really rough, or at least go back over it with the blue no 3 if you use the extra cut compound.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
If you do need the clearcoat buffed out, I'd pay the shop that did the paint work to do it. Hopefully they put on enough clear to buff out and not burn thru. If they just put on enough clear to look shiny, then the buffing may cut thru 1 or 2 coats right thru the clear. If they do it, they should be obligated to re clear. If you cut thru it. you get to pay them to re clear coat it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor