Clunk From Rear When Shifting Into Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
86 SS, posi rear axle, 100 k miles, fairly new to me car.
With the idle speed at 600 rpm when shfting into D or R there is a jolt and clunk from the rear. The driveshaft joints seem tight although they do not have the grease nipples(possibly original).
The rear axle sideways play is close to 1/16th "

Should this require attention?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yes, it should. No car should "clunk" when doing anything. Check all mounts pertaining to the transmission and rear end. Check the shock mounts and spring perches. Check all the bushings, if nothing looks out of place or suspicious, pop the diff cover and check it out. Drag a magnet through the fluid that pours out in a container (duh) and see if it picks up anything. Check for wear on the ring and pinion or any excessive looking play on anything. You can have the car on jackstands with the rear end hanging freely then have a buddy start it and put it in gear (before you drain the fluid to avoid spatter and possible damage) and listen/look for the clunking sound. Sounds like a driveshaft thing to me but just being thorough.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Have you ever driven a RWD from the 80's before? The axles do slide side to side and that is not a problem

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I seem to recall they did that when new LOL. Wouldn't hurt to toss some new u-joints in it esp if there are no grease nipples. Its a pretty sloppy setup but with appx $100 in parts ( ujoints and trans mount ) you will likely see a noticeable improvement. Its not too tough to pull the cover and swap the fluid in the rear. Its worse in auto cars than stick as well. Even with new parts it will still have some movement and likely clunk with the right conditions. I don't even notice it anymore :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I plan to change the diff fluid, gasket and add a suggested additive. I'll do the suggested checks while it's off the ground.
I know the axles have some looseness but I'm not sure of the spec.

((Is a posi diff additive even recommended?)) Time to check the manual.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I seem to recall they did that when new LOL. Wouldn't hurt to toss some new u-joints in it....

That was my first thought. The clunk was always a u-joint thing, unless it wasn't.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It could be the U-joints or the rear. Before doing anything I would get the rear up in the air for a look see. Put the trans in neutral, parking brake on, and grab the drive shaft. Feel if anything is loose. Bad U-joints will be obvious, and if so, should be changed. If they are tight then see how much play is in the rear. Grab the drive shaft again. See how much play there is between the companion flange and the ring gear inside. Some play is acceptable but a lot is not. It is easy to get fooled because when you add up the gear backlash and the axle play it can seem pretty sloppy. But if it is loose as a goose, then it will need attention. On the other hand, if the clunk is the only noise and there are no other expensive noises, I would not be in a hurry to open the rear up. Aside from changing the oil, which is a good thing but won't fix anything, the rear end is very complex, expensive, and difficult to repair properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor