Comp Cam 256H valve springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
The problem becomes where do you stop? It's always the same story. While I'm here and if I'm already doing this I might as well do that too. Budget will dictate what you can get away with. A nice set of aluminum heads would help too. And if you get them complete would save on buying springs...

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Call me an alarmist or whatever, but there's no way I'd consider putting a flat tappet cam in a rebuild today, given the horror stories out there. If you do a little reading, you'll find that people are having problems even when they're using the lifters supplied by the cam grinder...even Comp's stuff.

Granted a roller cam is much better than a flat tappet but this is where the cost factor steps in which is more than double. I've used flat tappet cams my whole life and have yet to lose one. It's the break-in and the oil.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Im from Germany😆There is almost nothing availible when it comes to small blocks🙄 If i could go down the road to the next junk yard and get my stuff i wont ever consider rebuilding a 305...i would go LS or so🤷🏻‍♂️

Well, that's my gaffe, I did not look at your location

Granted a roller cam is much better than a flat tappet but this is where the cost factor steps in which is more than double. I've used flat tappet cams my whole life and have yet to lose one. It's the break-in and the oil.

Nor have I, but there seem to be a lot of old-timers that have as of late.

I'm sure there are many that are fine, but these days with global sourcing and counterfeit products everywhere, who/how much do you trust?

Assuming one lives where roller blocks are available, I can't see the point in using 100 year old valvetrain technology unless it's a bare-bones/minimum-cost rebuild

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
You don't need a roller block, both my engines for the Sonoma are rollers w/ non roller blocks, retrofit roller lifters.

Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Agreed, but it's not quite as spendy if you have one and can reuse some of the components.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor