COMPLETE LS SWAP MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Try pulling it down to third when it's pulling the hills. Same effect as steeper gears only alot cheaper!! See what the temp runs at.

At speed it shouldn't matter much what the fan setup is. Make sure the steam vent from the heads is hooked to the radiator or upper radiator hose. It's not optional for these engines.

20Grand

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2018
Try pulling it down to third when it's pulling the hills. Same effect as steeper gears only alot cheaper!! See what the temp runs at.

At speed it shouldn't matter much what the fan setup is. Make sure the steam vent from the heads is hooked to the radiator or upper radiator hose. It's not optional for these engines.
I’ll take some photos of my setup, but again, it’s only happening when going up mountains. My only downfall is that I don’t have an rpm gauge setup. Maybe I should order one of those obd2 scanners before I head out again.

I’ll use third gear, find a new overflow tank that’s not melted and flush radiator fluids and refill with 50/50. Again, the last 250 mike stretch was a breeze.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The LS makes almost no low end torque, gears will help. You need aftermarket thick gears over 3.08 but it sounds like 3.08's are a good choice for the speeds you drive. Even a replacement single core aluminum/plastic rad is a cooling upgrade over the factory rad, which is not adequate. For fans, other than fans like Derale makes, most aftermarket fans don't move enough air. I have the Dodge Stratus fans on my 88, they move a lot of air. I have them on a toggle switch, no single relay's last, upgrade to dual if you go this route.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
It depends on the factory radiator. I am running the factory three core from my 78 Camino in my turbo Malibu and it doesn't have any trouble keeping it cool. The lack of low end is apparently not a problem as it's not downshifting. Or at least he hasn't said that it was.

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
A clogged up old radiator - internally and externally - is going to suck. If it is the original basic single row copper/brass unit and has corroded fins/tubes it is going to suck. If it is the original rad which does not have the provision for the steam line it is going to suck; and no you cannot tee the steam line into the nipple for the overflow.

You can make an overflow bottle out of just about anything, it just needs about a 1/2 litre of capacity due to fluid expansion. I've used dollar store stainless steel water bottles and some long hose (just keep the end submerged).

You should consider buying a rad for a 4th Gen F-body and put it in.

To be totally honest consolidating your issues in a single thread is easier to support.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
he is out of town, and working on his car. cut him some slack.

that may be true but without knowing what the engine temperature was it may not be an overheating problem. If there is no expansion tank in the system it would be normal to lose coolant.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
It depends on the factory radiator. I am running the factory three core from my 78 Camino in my turbo Malibu and it doesn't have any trouble keeping it cool. The lack of low end is apparently not a problem as it's not downshifting. Or at least he hasn't said that it was.
A clogged up old radiator - internally and externally - is going to suck. If it is the original basic single row copper/brass unit and has corroded fins/tubes it is going to suck. If it is the original rad which does not have the provision for the steam line it is going to suck; and no you cannot tee the steam line into the nipple for the overflow.

You can make an overflow bottle out of just about anything, it just needs about a 1/2 litre of capacity due to fluid expansion. I've used dollar store stainless steel water bottles and some long hose (just keep the end submerged).

You should consider buying a rad for a 4th Gen F-body and put it in.

To be totally honest consolidating your issues in a single thread is easier to support.

Correct on the T connection into the overflow, it won't work. I have mine venting into the upper rad hose and it's been good.

Don't overlook this steam vent thing. It has to be in place and operational.

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
It depends on the factory radiator. I am running the factory three core from my 78 Camino in my turbo Malibu and it doesn't have any trouble keeping it cool.

If the radiator was original from 1978, I wouldn't use it even if currently has no trouble keeping it cool. Factory radiators were not designed to last 15 years, let alone 40.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yeah I was talking about the single core stockers used in the V6 non-AC cars. Aka LS swap candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor