Confused about stock (14x6) Rally wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

sappypappy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2017
My ride is a 1986 Monte Carlo Base/Sport Coupe. When I got it, it already had some nice S10 Xtreme wheels on it w 16 inch tires, but I'd rather take it back to all stock I think. I ended up scoring the stock wire hubcaps for stupid cheap ($20 for all 4), so now I need the original wheels (and new tires obviously). But I'm a little confused about the stock rally wheels.

Are they all the exact same across the GM line during this era? Meaning could I scrounge around for some Oldsmobile or Pontiac G bodies for the same 14x6 5x4.75 wheel that'll work with these hubcaps? I've seen some S10s use them too. The wheel part number I found is this (which I assume is the OEM stock): https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-parts/gm-wheel-9591886/ But I'd like to find them good & used somewhere for cheaper.

Thanks! Here's my ride BTW: http://i.imgur.com/SsQUakZ.jpg

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Rock auto has them for $90.00 each (Think their Nuckin Futs!)
Any G body, F body or most 2 wheel drive S-10/ S-15 should have what you need.
Wheel should look like this gm rim.jpg
If you also picked up the locking towers with the wheel covers they take a 'washered' style lug nut (3 per wheel) to keep the lock tower from rattling.

Hope this helps!
Bob S.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

sappypappy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2017
Wheel should look like this View attachment 66173
If you also picked up the locking towers with the wheel covers they take a 'washered' style lug nut (3 per wheel) to keep the lock tower from rattling.

Hope this helps!
Bob S.

Holy hell, $90 dollarydoos a piece?! Yeah, they are nuts. Esp if these wheels are common with all the different models over the years. So as long as they're the 14x6 GM "rally" at 5x4.75 pattern, they're all identical, backspacing & all that? That would help a ton, as I'm sure the pick a parts around here have something.

Regarding the stock hubcaps, yeah. The guy was nice enough to gather the locking towers (4 cone shaped pieces?), w 3 little nuts per piece & the tool piece: http://i.imgur.com/2YVQej7.jpg He took em off his '81 like 20 years ago & they've been hanging in his garage all this time.

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
They are nuts I just scrapped a bunch of them I probably still have at least 4 are you near Jersey? Only because I don't want to ship them

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
You do not even have to use the word "Rally" ... it usually means a styled wheel like these
P1011752.JPG
Just ask for a standard steel wheel.
Looks like the guy you purchased them from gave you the complete set up.
By the way....Welcome to the forum from Western New York!!! and a fellow Monte Carlo owner. (2 1979's and an 1988 Super Sport!)

Bob S.

Reactions: 1 user

sappypappy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2017
They are nuts I just scrapped a bunch of them I probably still have at least 4 are you near Jersey? Only because I don't want to ship them

No, I wish. I'd taken em for sure. I'm in North FL.

You do not even have to use the word "Rally" ... it usually means a styled wheel like these
View attachment 66202
Just ask for a standard steel wheel.
Looks like the guy you purchased them from gave you the complete set up.
By the way....Welcome to the forum from Western New York!!! and a fellow Monte Carlo owner. (2 1979's and an 1988 Super Sport!)

Bob S.

Thank you! I'll prob be here often now that I'm officially in the fam. :) Yeah, hubs need cleaned & polished but they're good to go. One was missing the medallion clip insert so I had to eBay it. Paid almost as much for that as the hub caps, lol.

sappypappy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2017
Wheel should look like this View attachment 66173

Hope this helps!
Bob S.

I saw these on my local CL for cheap: http://i.imgur.com/nLmgFKW.jpg

Listing says they came off a '68 Impala & are 14x5 GM rallies (same bolt pattern) w 3.75" backspace. He said he measured them at 14x5.5 though but he thinks they're a 5 officially.

Would they work? I think I may have read somewhere the offset on the B bodies may be bad for our G bodies, but not sure.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
That offset is non ideal, but for a 5" wheel it won't matter. If it was an 8" wide wheel with that offset, it would have problems.
Not to mention some of the early rims have a small center hole that won't go over your rotors. Just go to a junk yard and tell them you want stock steel wheels for it they will have them probably a pile by the crusher

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor