Confused about stock (14x6) Rally wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Not to mention some of the early rims have a small center hole that won't go over your rotors. Just go to a junk yard and tell them you want stock steel wheels for it they will have them probably a pile by the crusher

The junkyards I go to are literally littered with those wheels. It's true they weld 2 together to make car stands, but they'll still sell you as many as you need for $7 each with no core.

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
The junkyards I go to are literally littered with those wheels. It's true they weld 2 together to make car stands, but they'll still sell you as many as you need for $7 each with no core.
Yea there not rare I have like 6 and I don't even run them just use them for rollers

sappypappy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2017
Thank you guys. Is there a specific part number or markings I should look for on the wheels? Didn't know if they varied depending on say if they came off an s10, g body, etc. And I know a lot of yards don't keep up with what came off what.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Thank you guys. Is there a specific part number or markings I should look for on the wheels? Didn't know if they varied depending on say if they came off an s10, g body, etc. And I know a lot of yards don't keep up with what came off what.
Look at the pictures I sent you

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Why not just go for a 15" wheel...unless you're dead set on using your 14" wirewheel hubcaps. Some S10's used the Monte Carlo type styled wheel. They came in 14 and 15". I think a set of those would look good on your ride.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

sappypappy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2017
Look at the pictures I sent you

I did & know what they look like. Didn't know if anything as stamped on them anywhere.

Why not just go for a 15" wheel...unless you're dead set on using your 14" wirewheel hubcaps. Some S10's used the Monte Carlo type styled wheel. They came in 14 and 15". I think a set of those would look good on your ride.

I'm kinda set on using the OG hubcaps during this era.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I saw these on my local CL for cheap: http://i.imgur.com/nLmgFKW.jpg

Listing says they came off a '68 Impala & are 14x5 GM rallies (same bolt pattern) w 3.75" backspace. He said he measured them at 14x5.5 though but he thinks they're a 5 officially.

Would they work? I think I may have read somewhere the offset on the B bodies may be bad for our G bodies, but not sure.

I do believe that wheel will not clear your front brake calipers. Also with the narrow width your wire wheel covers would not snap onto the rim edge due to the lug area being much shallower. I tried this years ago with a set of steel wheels from a 69 Skylark winter bomb on my brothers 84 Monte Carlo. Front calipers hit and we could not seat the wire wheel covers on the rim edge due to the shallow lug area.
Check your local yards for 14 inch steel wheels for steel wheels from 73 up on X body,(Chevy Nova,Olds Omega, Buick Apollo, Pontiac Ventura) 73 and up A/G body ( Chevelle / Malibu/ El Camino, Cutlass, Grand Am, Grand Prix, Regal) most lower trim levels from 73-77 came with 14 inch wheels. In 78 I believe all A/G bodys went to 14 inch wheels. Again don't ask for a rally wheel as they will think your looking for a steel styled wheel.

Hope this helps!
Good Hunting!
Bob S.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I did & know what they look like. Didn't know if anything as stamped on them anywhere.

I'm kinda set on using the OG hubcaps during this era.
Ok if there stamped GM and there 14" and the center hole is not a perfect circle there's about a 90 percent chance there the correct rim

sappypappy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2017
I do believe that wheel will not clear your front brake calipers. Also with the narrow width your wire wheel covers would not snap onto the rim edge due to the lug area being much shallower. I tried this years ago with a set of steel wheels from a 69 Skylark winter bomb on my brothers 84 Monte Carlo. Front calipers hit and we could not seat the wire wheel covers on the rim edge due to the shallow lug area.
Check your local yards for 14 inch steel wheels for steel wheels from 73 up on X body,(Chevy Nova,Olds Omega, Buick Apollo, Pontiac Ventura) 73 and up A/G body ( Chevelle / Malibu/ El Camino, Cutlass, Grand Am, Grand Prix, Regal) most lower trim levels from 73-77 came with 14 inch wheels. In 78 I believe all A/G bodys went to 14 inch wheels. Again don't ask for a rally wheel as they will think your looking for a steel styled wheel.

Hope this helps!
Good Hunting!
Bob S.

Dude! Thank you. That sure saved me a ton of headaches.

Ok if there stamped GM and there 14" and the center hole is not a perfect circle there's about a 90 percent chance there the correct rim

Awesome. I'll def look for that then. :)

sappypappy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2017
Found the wheels. Got em pretty cheap & they came off an 81 Cutless, so a bit rusty. Gave them an acid bath, dried them, sanded off the flash rust & painted the fronts. They balanced well (one was a tad warped but they said it shouldn't be a big deal so I'll run em a while & see how goes it).

Thanks again y'all. I'm on my way to all stock. Need to paint it the OG light blue & find some of the badges, hood ornament, etc.

Attachments

• CAM00173_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    CAM00173_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 181
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor