Console Mounted Cassette Holder

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I believe they were supposed to come standard in console cars that had a cassette tape deck option in the radio. Not sure if it had to be the top of the line cassette player radio or not, though. Physically, they should fit 78-88 Cutlass console. They pulled right out, and some have gone by the wayside. So rare? Eh, I dunno. Harder and harder to find in good shape? You betcha.

There was no "option" for them that I'm aware of. You couldn't buy the factory console cassette holders from GM best of my knowledge. You could get the generic carry boxes that sat in the back seat or wherever you wanted to put it.

1707852871193.png

I do not know exactly WHEN they started putting them in the consoles. My 85 442 came with one from the factory. I can tell you that much. I had no idea wtf it was at first and the salesman didn't tell me until I literally said, "wtf is this?" Gives you about 2" of useable space in the console with it installed.

Camaros and firebirds came with them as well, but obviously a different shape. Corvettes had their version, but I'm not sure about Regal/GP/Monte. If they did, they were different than the skinny azz Cutlass insert.

There was a discussion on this about a month ago actually.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I think I sold the one out of my Cutlass for $30 or something and had only 1 interested buyer

I don't own a single cassette so it wasn't much use to me.

Rare, probably, desirable, ehhhh

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I think I sold the one out of my Cutlass for $30 or something and had only 1 interested buyer

I don't own a single cassette so it wasn't much use to me.

Rare, probably, desirable, ehhhh

Desirable if you building a period retro ride, but probably not $140 desirable.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor