Console Mounted Cassette Holder

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
AFAIK, It's one of the few pieces you could not buy new from GM. I've never seen it offered, I've never seen it available, and I never seen it come in any over the counter "production radio/cassette" package. Plus, I've never seen Fischer CBox company offer it. They did for a lot of cars, mostly "foreign" makes, since they were in West Germany (yes, that was a thing at the time) but not Cutlass.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My 86 442 has it as standard equipment I believe
Not really. If your car came with a cassette player it came with the car because of that. It was an unlisted part of a radio/cassette player option package.

For example, if you went with the no radio at all option, or just the AM/FM radio, you wouldn't get a cassette holder.

And on top of that, I don't know if it came with any old cassette option or just on the top of the line equalizer deal. My 85 has the UU6 equalizer AM/FM cassette with the cassette holder. My low-mile 87 442 does not (19K on it when I bought it), and it doesn't have a cassette holder. The old 87 Salon I had did have one, but it also was the equalizer version. Of course, someone could have yanked it out of the 87 442, I cannot verify since I didn't buy that one new. I didn't look for any scrape marks though. Might have to do that to see if something may have been in there. I've never seen one in an 83 or 84, but that doesn't mean they weren't available. And that includes the 78-82 cars as well. Haven't seen one in those. Again, never worried about it much.

I cannot for the life of me find ANY GM printed information on the cassette holder, either in ads, or console parts, or the radio options (sound) brochure.

I recall coming on the 85-88 Cutlass with D55 and cassette player radio. I do not recall it coming on earlier models, although it's quite possible. I haven't given it a lot of thought.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Not really. If your car came with a cassette player it came with the car because of that. It was an unlisted part of a radio/cassette player option package.

For example, if you went with the no radio at all option, or just the AM/FM radio, you wouldn't get a cassette holder.

And on top of that, I don't know if it came with any old cassette option or just on the top of the line equalizer deal. My 85 has the UU6 equalizer AM/FM cassette with the cassette holder. My low-mile 87 442 does not (19K on it when I bought it), and it doesn't have a cassette holder. The old 87 Salon I had did have one, but it also was the equalizer version. Of course, someone could have yanked it out of the 87 442, I cannot verify since I didn't buy that one new. I didn't look for any scrape marks though. Might have to do that to see if something may have been in there. I've never seen one in an 83 or 84, but that doesn't mean they weren't available. And that includes the 78-82 cars as well. Haven't seen one in those. Again, never worried about it much.

I cannot for the life of me find ANY GM printed information on the cassette holder, either in ads, or console parts, or the radio options (sound) brochure.

I recall coming on the 85-88 Cutlass with D55 and cassette player radio. I do not recall it coming on earlier models, although it's quite possible. I haven't given it a lot of thought.
To the extent it helps, or hurts, I have one I saved from an 87 salon that had a non-eq Delco tape deck, BUT, I also can't say someone didn't swap the radio out as I bought it in the late 1990s when a car dealer was going to scrap it after it sat on the lot unsold for too long.

Old stuff used to not be worth the auction fees so that's what they did.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I just found mine. Guess I get to retire early on that sweet cassette holder money.

• Haha

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
While searching for other console parts for another thread, I finally stumbled across the cassette tray console insert part number- it's 22528255. :) Application was for 85-88. Still, good luck finding a new one.

Reactions: 2 users

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
My '87 442 and '85 442s didn't come with one and they had a cassette radios.
Never seen one come in a Hurst, the only car that I had come with one was an '86 Salon and '87 Salon.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor