control arm bushing removal and install

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibootay

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2013
Grand prairie TX
Ok, ive removed them in the past by beating the crap out of them, but what is the easiest way to get them off and install them without a press...anybody out there with some home made ideas or any thing would help alot

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I think there was a post on this site recently about removing them by burning the rubber bushings out, then either cutting or chiseling the metal bushings out of the control arms. As for installing new bushings, your best bet would be to try to find a machine shop that has a press, and get the new bushings preassed in properly. JMO.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I made this tool for a couple of bucks from the plumbing section at Home Depot http://youtu.be/DKOFTp0PtYc. I removed and installed them with the same tool and worked awesome. If you need to change the sleeve saw a notch in it and chisl it out and done. http://youtu.be/iG1hQlw6xMk

I don't recommend burning the rubber. You'll just be breathing all that in your face.

Hope it helps,

Joe

7d8ss

Apprentice
Feb 21, 2007
Lexington, Ohio
I used a ball joint press for mine.. Not exactly easy but effective. Also used it to press the new bushings in. This was on the rearend housing. The trailing arms themselves I did on a press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor