Controlling wheel hop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Your lower control arm bushings are shot. Get aftermarket lower control arms. Boxed stronger new bushings & relatively cheap. Now it binds twists let's loose & hops good for waisting power & breaking other parts. Upper arms air bags tires also contribute but.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Have you ever actually changed the lower bushings? They can be a time consuming b*tch and many want half the money for the bushings that you would have paid for new welded boxed bars with them already in it. Aftermarket bars are so cheap now and with them you don't need to buy special no hop bars especially if you are using an airbag to pre-load the suspension anyway. my 2 cents.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
axisg said:
change the lower bushings and install the no-hop bars
I think the no hop bars are a waste of money....I would suggest that you scrap both upper and lower stock control arms, JUNK from the factory. Call UMIPerformance and they can set you up with a great set of new ones at a really great price, and no wheel hop....I have their product ,12 bolt swap kit and I love it. Highly reccomended 8)

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
I run Energy Suspension Polyurethane bushings in the upper and lower control arms in my 81 Malibu. My 78 El Camino I changed the lower control arm bushing only to Energy Suspension bushings and ive done a few burn out and hooks great.

Doug

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
dogshit said:
Have you ever actually changed the lower bushings? They can be a time consuming b*tch and many want half the money for the bushings that you would have paid for new welded boxed bars with them already in it. Aftermarket bars are so cheap now and with them you don't need to buy special no hop bars especially if you are using an airbag to pre-load the suspension anyway. my 2 cents.

Mine looked to be in good shape so I never bothered to change them on my car, it was appx 20 mins each with a press to change them on a freinds though with the LCA's removed using a press. However the uppers were a biatch coming out when installing the no-hop bars on my car. I have no complaints with the no-hops setup on my car and they were cheap ( $90 Brand New in the box ). Car launches straight and hooks good. I am making well under 400hp to the rear wheels with an Auto Trans so wheelspin is not a huge issue for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor