Convert a stock air cleaner to work with cowl induction hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
hey all,

Just wondering if it would be possible to take the stock single snorkel air cleaner on my V8 86 Elco and convert it to work with a cowl induction hood.

I was thinking you could just buy an actual disc air filter that comes with a lid, but a kid that won't cover the whole air cleaner itself. Then, getting some of that rubber trim or whatever it is and wrapping around the old air cleaner where the kid met the sides, and viola, a stock air cleaner that would work with a cowl induction hood. The reason I am wondering is because I want a cowl induction hood, but I want to keep the THERMAC in my car to help it warm up on cold days. Thanks.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Kinda like this?
image.jpeg

That's pretty much what I did years ago, but I sourced a larger diameter housing from an old Dodge in the wreckers to accommodate my 14" air filter.
You'll probably still have to add something to the underside of the hood for it to seal to as you likely won't have the height.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Rktpwrd damn you always have a clean solution!! THAT is a sanitary engine bay! looking good!

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Rktpwrd damn you always have a clean solution!! THAT is a sanitary engine bay! looking good!

Thanks very much, you're too kind.
:)
That's actually an old photo from around '99-2002 ish. That was taken after I completed the work on what has now become to be known as "The Juggernaut". Same car, new version now I guess you could say.
If you thought that engine bay was sano, just wait 'till I get done THIS time around!
;)
If it helps the OP, the weatherstrip I used to seal the base to the hood is known as a "bulb seal" type, and I got it for free as leftovers from a running board installation I did when I worked for a truck accessory outfit (although I'm certain it can be found many other places).

Donovan

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Thanks for he picture and your help Donovan. I'll look into a similar setup to yours

chevymalibu283

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2013
Donovan, i was curious as to where you sourced the hydraulic support rods for your hood and how you attach them to hood? Also, where did you find the gasket/seal for your air filter assembly? I'm still finding new items on your ride that i must have overlooked or not seen before.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Lots of late model cars use a trunk seal like that, especially imports.

To make the assembly closer to the hood, you can use a spacer under the air cleaner. That's how GM did it on the Chevelles from 70-72. There is a similar spacer used on mid 80s GM V8 trucks.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Donovan, i was curious as to where you sourced the hydraulic support rods for your hood and how you attach them to hood? Also, where did you find the gasket/seal for your air filter assembly? I'm still finding new items on your ride that i must have overlooked or not seen before.
Mark has some good suggestions on using trunk weather strip, but as I mentioned earlier, I used leftover seals from a running board install. They go between the board and the rocker panel of the truck to prevent damage from vibration. Any pinch weld type seal that has the bulb seal above it would work tho.
As for attaching the struts to the hood, I used ball studs for gas struts (you may have to hunt around a bit to find these) and welded them in the correct place on the underside of the hood. On the fender side, I re-tapped the threaded holes that originally mounted the hood hinge, and used threaded ball studs here as well. Look for something like this:
image.jpeg

The hydraulic struts I sourced directly from a local truck accessory shop, they're often used to support those hard fibreglass bed covers, and can be had in different lb weight ratings. IIRC, mine were around 100lb ones, perfect for holding up our heavy hoods. Hope this helps. Keep us updated on your progress!
Donovan

chevymalibu283

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2013
Mark has some good suggestions on using trunk weather strip, but as I mentioned earlier, I used leftover seals from a running board install. They go between the board and the rocker panel of the truck to prevent damage from vibration. Any pinch weld type seal that has the bulb seal above it would work tho.
As for attaching the struts to the hood, I used ball studs for gas struts (you may have to hunt around a bit to find these) and welded them in the correct place on the underside of the hood. On the fender side, I re-tapped the threaded holes that originally mounted the hood hinge, and used threaded ball studs here as well. Look for something like this:
View attachment 49878
The hydraulic struts I sourced directly from a local truck accessory shop, they're often used to support those hard fibreglass bed covers, and can be had in different lb weight ratings. IIRC, mine were around 100lb ones, perfect for holding up our heavy hoods. Hope this helps. Keep us updated on your progress!
Donovan

Thanks Donovan, this info will help next time I'm at the parts store. I will post pics of my cowl hood soon. Have to take into work to grind and lay down new fiberglass. I dont want to cover the neighborhood in bondo and fiberglass dust. lol

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks Donovan, this info will help next time I'm at the parts store. I will post pics of my cowl hood soon. Have to take into work to grind and lay down new fiberglass. I dont want to cover the neighborhood in bondo and fiberglass dust. lol
Anytime sir, always happy to help.
Looking forward to those pics on your progress!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor